• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel Boss Or Assassin

I have thought about that too. To be honest though, I want to get away from electric pumps all together. I know the proposed upcoming products are going to be awesome, but just the thought of not having to rely on electricity to keep the VP happy is a BIG plus for me.

And the other thought I have, will the raptor keep going that long? I got mine right in the middle of the "trouble" period last spring and I am kind of amazing I have never had a problem with it.

i respect your thoughts, but a little food for thought....the VP44 don't work without electricity! furthermore, you get air and water separation from an airdog. as well as a lifetime warranty. i've had mine for over 5 yrs now with nearly no problems (leaks, electrical, etc) until what i mentioned in this post: http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/7966-need-help-asap-with-airdog/

i am not a spokesman or get paid by airdog. i'm merely a member of this forum trying to give other members insight based upon my experiences.

I am the same way when it comes to electric motors, hence the reason I went mechanical.  Simple and reliable.  Aside from catastrophic gear failure (which I haven't heard of anyone having out of a mechanical pump yet) every other part can be replaced right on the spot.   .And that only consists of a couple bearings, belt and I suppose you can count the pulleys. I know I can source the belt, and bearings locally and would almost put money on being able to cnc another pulley from remains of a destroyed one if needed.  In regards to the air/water separator, you can purchase the big rail mount kit from vulcan for around $160 or so (last I checked).

I went through this decision a year ago and would suggest throwing the MITUSA in the mix with the others. I was initially set on the Fuel Boss, but there was a wait for it and I had a dying LP. So I went with the MITUSA. It is a considerably simpler approach than the fuel boss. So much so the I thought parts were missing when I first unpacked. They assured me there wasn't , and I was quite skeptical if I had made the right decision. It doesn't keep the stock LP in the loop, but I don't consider that a big issue any more. I've had 12,000 mi of problem free operation and never think about it.

• Like 1

I kind of like the idea of keeping the eletric pump in line for priming bleeding air easier after filter changes. Makes it that much easier. Thanks for pointing out the MITUSA though. I hadnt heard of them. I guess I could always add a hobbs switch in later too. Thats not a problem.

I've got my fuel boss set up like the MITUSA, no hobbs switch. It works great but there's a half second till the pump really kicks in. For filter changes I just take out the dummy plugs on the carter pump and harness and reconnect them and bump the starter a whole bunch of times. I believe the MITUSA is the original and the other pumps are based off of it.

I also have an older Assassin pump. The thing has worked like a champ. It took a little work to purge all the hose debris after it was installed but once clean, the regulator works. I have only replaced the belt once. IMHO much better than an electric pump. I went through electric pumps like candy.

I have never needed a second, back up electric pump.

Edited by RPM

I got my MITUSA through Ultimate Transmission in Garden City , Idaho. I think they distribute them now but I was directed there by Opie (who makes the MITUSA). I would check his site opieparts.com too.

They sent a small pulley that you mount in a drill, throw the belt around and spin the pump to prime it. Pretty easy and quick.

• Like 1

Alright guys. Decided to hold off on the mechanical pump for now. I did go ahead and order a Beans Diesel Sump though. Should let the raptor breath a little better at least. I figure it this way: If the raptor was gonna go out, I probably would have had issues with it already. Its over a year old and 20,000 miles on it just about. I have a good spin on prefilter before it and it is frame mounted too.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen. If I come across a good deal on a used mechanical pump in the future I might gobble it up but for now I am gonna hold off.

Alright guys. Decided to hold off on the mechanical pump for now. I did go ahead and order a Beans Diesel Sump though. Should let the raptor breath a little better at least. I figure it this way: If the raptor was gonna go out, I probably would have had issues with it already. Its over a year old and 20,000 miles on it just about. I have a good spin on prefilter before it and it is frame mounted too.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen. If I come across a good deal on a used mechanical pump in the future I might gobble it up but for now I am gonna hold off.

I'm new to sumps, is the beans sump mounted underneath the tank or on top?

Last week was the first time I let the fuel gauge get below 1/8 tank and it starting sputtering as I pulled into the gas station. The sump is supposed to eliminate air getting sucked up right?

You drill a hole in the bottom of the tank and it mounts there. No straw, no tubes, just a hole in the bottom of the tank. Thats why you can literally run the thing dry with the sump.

Here is the install video:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRfFM51j5rJU&ei=7zAzU5e3DYnOyAH8zIHYBw&usg=AFQjCNEwV1ZO3dJyljYAI8hix7IBJLahbQ

• Like 1