• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anybody Running Dap Injectors?

I don't understand how you could say that...

The rv275's is an injector just like any other. I don't see how if putting it in any truck automatically can give anyone that 275hp number. If I had a truck with 150hp and put them in, I don't get 120hp out of them.

• Owner

Technically it would. Because the pressure is the same from the VP44 and the orifice is the same from engine to engine so the amount of cc's of fuel would be the same producing 275 HP at the flywheel.

I remember reading some where and don't quote me the size difference is 9/10's of a thousandth or 0.0009 from stock to RV275's for hole size.

What Mike says makes sense. My 100hp sticks are stock 235 bodies that have been extrude honed and the Bar set to 330-345 set by the spring pressure. My understanding is that the orifices are 5x.013. The Bosch RV275's bar is 300-315 and can be adjusted to be a little more or less than factory spec.

Will a Haynes repair manual give me all the necessary torque specs to do the injector install? Wouldnt mind having something around with info like that for other repairson the truck. And one other thing....Is the valve cover gasket reusable? Mine seems to be seeping a little back by the firewall now. Thought about trying to clean it up and reuse it or should I just replace it?

Edited by rseabur

You can download the factory service manual off the site, here. Has all the torque specs you need. As well, if the valve cover gasket is leaking, replace it. I will re-use mine, but when it starts leaking, it needs replaced.

• Owner

Will a Haynes repair manual give me all the necessary torque specs to do the injector install? Wouldnt mind having something around with info like that for other repairson the truck. And one other thing....Is the valve cover gasket reusable? Mine seems to be seeping a little back by the firewall now. Thought about trying to clean it up and reuse it or should I just replace it?

Here you go.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/files/file/45-2001-dodge-ramrar/

Got my +50-60 injectors today. Holy fast shipping from Vulcan performance! I cancelled my dap order due to being backordered. Now just have to find the time to install them. Thumbs up to Eric @ Vulcan.

• Like 1

3 1/2 hrs later i got the injectors installed tonight. Worst part was getting the valve cover off & back on and trying to get the torque wrench on the Hp injection lines. I finally gave up and just tightened them with a wrench guessing at the torque based off of the ones I could get to easily. Took it for a short drive and notice a little more low end power thru 1st and 2nd which is what I was looking for. It seemed like a dog thru 1 and 2 even with the juice on. Not a huge bump in power but I think I found what I was looking for. Also not really any more smoke than stock with the Juice on 5x5. Want to thank everybody for your input and info. Esp mulcher812. I will give more feedback once I drive it a little more and can hook the fiver to it.

What do you consider a "dog" I know I am comparing apples to oranges, but with my Smarty on Catcher #5, it was a HUGE DIFFERENCE over stock from the throttle sensitivity to just straight raw low-end torque. The top end didn't gain much but enough to notice. I would imagine +50hp injector making a pretty significant improvement over stock ones.

Imo the edge does good on the top end like from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. it will put you back into your seat. Not saying it doesn't help down low because it does just not as much as up top. The injectors help out a lot on the bottom from what I can tell from the 2 or 3 mile test drive I took after the install. Was going to take it out tonight but we are having tornado warnings all over the place. Does the truck go thru a learning curve after doing injectors or any other performance upgrades?

• Owner

As fair as I've ever found about the PCM/ECM on the Dodge Ram truck there is no learning cycle. So in other words if the truck is modified the ECM/PCM have no clue no do they change fuelling or timing tables unless the modification is designed to do it. Say like injectors the ECM is only going to fuel X amount of cc's fuel for Y amount of load so it has no clue the injectors are bigger. But like now install Edge or Quadzilla the ECM does what its designed to do but the add on modification will modify the signal to the CANBUS and/or the wire tap on the pump. So even then the ECM really isn't aware of the modification. The only modification is a programmer like a Smarty where it directly changes the ECM software.

Say like injectors the ECM is only going to fuel X amount of cc's fuel for Y amount of load so it has no clue the injectors are bigger.

...this is the type of statement I was wanting to make about the argument with the rv275 injectors and how I did not feel that if you had any HP engine lower than the 275 mark, the injectors would not make that engine automatically 275 hp.

I know, off-topic, but I had to pounce on it when I saw it! :)

Edited by hex0rz

• Owner

...this is the type of statement I was wanting to make about the argument with the rv275 injectors and how I did not feel that if you had any HP engine lower than the 275 mark, the injectors would not make that engine automatically 275 hp.

I know, off-topic, but I had to pounce on it when I saw it! :)

I was speaking of daily driving. So if your measuring WOT which is more or less no holds bar then the cc flow rate would be higher that stock and the pulse length would most likely be the same (in theory). So yes the RV275 injectors where for the 275 HP RV edition of the Cummins ISB. Just another stock injector. :wink:

Simple way to show it. Take a 80 PSI water source. Then 2 separate hoses. One hose is going to be a standard 5/8 inch garden hose and the other will be a 1" inch fire hose. Now open the valve at the same time and leave open for say 10 seconds (The delivery time the ECM commands - in theory) and close together. Now measure the water delivered by both. Of course the 1" hose will flow more. The fact is the VP44 is only going to produce like 18,000 to 20,000 PSI (Guessing here) and the pressure will be the same with both injectors but the total flow amount will different. Hence HP increase with larger injectors.

• 1 month later...

Might if you have a early VP44 truck that is only 215 HP then the RV275 would a +60HP gain.

So that's like my truck. So no matter what,in other words the RV275's will give a total output of 275 hp.would 10 more hp be a noticeable difference?

Michael are those Rv275's for sale? Still usable? How many miles on them?

Dave