• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Article On Lift Pump Specs/vp44 1999 Dodge 24 Valve

FLOW TEST.

1. Remove the fuel pump supply banjo fitting from the fuel injection pump.

2. Install Miller Tool #9014 fuel system test fitting into the fuel injection pump.

3. Connect one end of a section of fuel hose to the test fitting.

4. Put the other end of the fuel hose into an empty fuel container.

5. Use the scan tool to actuate the fuel lift pump.

6. While the lift pump is running, move the fuel hose from the fuel canister into a 1000ml graduated cylinder for 10

seconds.

7. Read and record the amount of fuel in the graduated cylinder after 10 seconds.

8. If you have more than 430ml in the graduated cylinder after 10 seconds, the test has successfully passed.

9. If you have less than 430ml of fuel in the graduated cylinder, inspect the fuel supply line from the fuel tank to the

fuel filter housing and the fuel supply line between the fuel filter housing and the high pressure fuel pump for signs

of damage, replace as necessary. If no damage is found, replace the fuel filter and retest.

10.Verify the Screened Banjo Bolt at the outlet of the fuel filter is free of debris. If debris is found, rinse screen with

water, blow dry and reinstall. Retest vehicle. If flow meets specification then trace back the source of debris, if flow

is still below spec repair damaged component.

DR ENGINE - ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTICS - DIESEL 9 - 1583

11. If reading is still less than 430ml in 10 seconds, remove the fuel tank and fuel tank module. Inspect for damage

and/or debris in and around the fuel tank module. If module is damaged, replace and retest.

12. If the module is not damaged, replace the fuel lift pump and retest to confirm fix.

The transfer pump is self-priming: When the key is

first turned on (without cranking engine), the pump

will operate for approximately 2 seconds and then

shut off. The pump will also operate for up to 25 seconds

after the starter is engaged, and then disengaged

and the engine is not running. The pump

shuts off immediately if the key is on and the engine

stops running.

The fuel volume of the transfer pump will always

provide more fuel than the fuel injection pump

requires. Excess fuel is returned from the injection

pump through an overflow valve. The valve is located

on the side of the injection pump (Fig. 52). It is also

used to connect the fuel return line to the side of the

injection pump. This valve opens at approximately 97

kPa (14 psi) and returns fuel to the fuel tank

through the fuel return line.

I did the test twice, I didn't have the fittings, but what I did is to attach a clear plastic hose to the outlet line from the filter, i was by myslef, so I tested it by once holding the hose and once the air was out I held it with my thumb, then I shut off the key and then tapped the starter again for the duration of the pump cycle, the other time i just set the hose in the container , and just let the air purge both times they were close to the same results

test 1=1.598 liters---56 ounces

test 2=1.568 liters-----55 ounces

the reason for the air was because of the long tube once it filled the air was gone, so I may have lost an ounce or so in the process. I used an out board motor oil fill bottle to measure with I pumped into a gallon container and transfered to the measuring bottle.

At the same loacation where the dealer had inserted a 3" piece of neoprime hose from the filter line to the fuel fitting by the banjo bolt on the pump I tested the pressure there just to check before I tested at the filter housing, I still only got 10 lbs.

Thanks Dan

DAP is a reputable dealer. I know one of their injection pump suppliers is industrial injection. The computers on top are new. The online vendor sounds like Blue Chip?? FYI I went through 2 Blue Chip pumps in less than a month. I now have an industrial injection that I am more than pleased with. Long story short, call DAP and get an injection pump lift pump combo. You won't be disappointed with service or quality

Thank You how long has your pump been in, I'm just looking for reliability, you say there computers are new, the place in CA puts rebuilt ones on top from Bosch, I do agree 1000, for the VP and lift pump is a great deal how do they do it

Thanks Dan

Thank You how long has your pump been in, I'm just looking for reliability, you say there computers are new, the place in CA puts rebuilt ones on top from Bosch, I do agree 1000, for the VP and lift pump is a great deal how do they do it

Thanks Dan

My DAP pump has been going strong for about a year. I have over 15,000 miles on it with no problems to speak of. They do use new computers on their pumps but I believe industrial injection is actually rebuilds the injection pumps for DAP.

As for how they can get you such a good deal, I am sure it all depends on the quantity they sell. I am sure they sell a ton of pumps so they get a good deal from their suppliers. Its all supply and demand. Industrial injection makes really good products too, if you were concerned.

(I am not totally sure if industrial injection is who actually rebuilds the pumps for DAP or not, just though I saw that they did somewhere)

Thanks Dan

My pump has been on for 2 and 1/2 months now. Not very long, but with 2 stroke and a good lift pump I plan on a long life out of this pump. I take this truck to the middle of no where snowmobiling, so I have to have reliablility. I've had no issues starting it in -15deg F when snowmobiling. Industrial makes quality products and DAP only sells quality products. You won't be disappointed!  :thumbup2:

• Like 1