• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

When All Esle Fails...break Out The Hammer!

YabbaDoo

Well my Lincoln had been leaking coolant from behind the timing cover for a while... Fixed it with some Bars leaks 5 months ago and then it started leaking again :banghead: ...Funny she must have known I bought the gasket kit the week before :doh:  Anyway the timing cover had never been cracked in 23 years so it was a P.I.T.A !!!!! to try and remove... The 4 studs did not really want to come out :banghead:  :banghead: :banghead:  :banghead:  and 1 bolt sheared off at the head wich in theory should have been ok and it should have just been able to slide out over the studs and bolts... Tried every conventional method to remove said bolt and studs to no avail :duh:  :duh:

Tried heating with a torch... nope still wouldn't budge... it was like this stupid timing cover was welded on the motor. So when all options were exhausted and the new to me timing cover will be 40.00... Let's break out the hammer!!! post-1978-0-69601900-1393822752_thumb.jp    post-1978-0-69319100-1393822749_thumb.jp    post-1978-0-84921700-1393822746_thumb.jp Got just a little dirty doing this job... :rolleyes:  :ashamed:

I even borrowed my friends husband so the job could go quicker a few days before...He broke off one bolt holding the oil pump on and I had hacksawed 2 of the studs, because in theory had all gone somewhat ok... It should have been able to slip off of said studs...I sent the picture to him telling him not to worry about the bolt he broke off at the oil pump...

Called my friend at the bone yard and now just waiting for him to find the cover... It is a 3.8 so it shouldn't be hard.. I know where there is one at another boneyard but, for the price I will let them pull it!!!! And just go pick it up!!

Now looking back at this I wondered if a dead blow hammer would of freed it without breaking the cover?

Tried using a rubber mallet, tried heating with a torch, took off the pan and put a pry bar behind the cover and couldn't even crack it enough to see any daylight, tried a hammer and chisel etc :doh:  :doh: .... spent 3 days trying to coax it, plead with it and beg it off  before having to resort to smashing it and using a saws all... Trust me it was an absolute last resort... I could have pulled the motor and installed another one in less time then it took to try and get that %$#@$ Cover off :banghead:  :banghead: :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: