• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Spring has sprung here in Minnesota, so in a few weeks I'll be able to haul my '94 to the shed to get working on it.  I posted WAY back when I first found this forum on my build plans.  I'll start here again to bring everyone back up to speed.   

First off, is this the right part of the forum to post a "build" thread?  If not please direct me to the correct location.  thanks

I restored a '51 Pilothouse B3D truck that was my great grandfathers truck.  I seem to have a disease now, lots of old truck parts in my house, garage and at friend's sheds.  I decided a few years back I was going to take a modern powertrain and graft on a Pilothouse cab/front clip as a daily driver.  This truck will be a stretched 3 door cab flat bed stake side hauler style truck.  I've got all the old Pilothouse cabs and doors to cut apart and re-weld up to the stretched cab.  As well as all the doors I could need to make the 3rd door and fill the space behind the passenger side door.

The '94 has a fresh rebuilt tranny and about 150K on the engine.  I've been thinking that since it will all be available to work on, going thru the engine and rear end would be a good idea right now.  Before I start to tear things off, any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Plans include air ride, saddle fuel tanks, rear duals and a tip up front end like a semi for engine work.  

thanks, I look forward to keeping this thread moving over the course of the spring/summer while things start under way.

Edited by PilotHouse2500
  • Like 1

• Staff

Man.... I can't help thinking how incredible it is taking on a project like that on the pilothouse truck. To me that's what the word 'amazing' is all about.

Please do some pics if you have time. :popcorn:

Spring in the Cities at least!   :)

yes a 4WD chassis, I've seen one like this done (minus the cab stretch), a tow truck near Marshall, MN.

This is "FEF" a full frame off resto of my great grandfather's truck:

20131115_105222_zps1e6eb4d9.jpg

This is the concept drawing for "TODD"

2013-05-21 07.45.25.jpg

When I tear down the '94:  any hints?  Tricks?  Most of the parts won't be used so if anyone is looking for something off the truck not related to the power train I'm sure a deal could be made.

Edited by PilotHouse2500
  • Like 1

• Staff

Nice truck. Never seen a bed painted a different color but, with the step rail incliuded it does look good not going all red.

On the concept drawing;  my only thought is I know the cabs are stronger when there is a pillar between front and rear doors. I know that my cab on my 2002 wouldn't be flexing as much if it had one and it wasn't one big opening.

MnTom:

I'm pretty sure most of the interior (as well as all the body panels) will be going away as it won't fit in the 51 cab.  So far all I can think of that I'll be keeping is the steering and signal stuff.  MAYBE the climate controls.  Beyond that...no need for any of it.

JAG1:

yah, I originally was going to do the suicide rear half doors on both sides, but backed away from that for that exact reason.  I'm doing research on how to get enough steel on that section on the drivers side to keep flex/sags at bay.  I'll be adding around 18" to the cab.  

As for FEF's coloring, that was the stock look in the day, it cost an extra $5 to get the bed painted the same color as the cab, or about $50 in today's dollars.

Edited by PilotHouse2500

MnTom:

I'll have to get back to you on condition.  This was a friends truck and I bought it for the powertrain and din't really care about the interior.  I'll see if I can get some pics or something.  It will be a few weeks till we actually get it towed to the shop (still too much now up in Stillwater) from where it's stored right now.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

sadly this summer is not going as planned.  I WAS going to pick up the 2500 tonight so I could work on stripping it down this weekend, but it isn't going to work now....drrrr....my friend I bought it from was SUPPOSED to use some of the money from me to fix his clutch so we could trailer it, but oddly his wife spent the money on something else... :mad: now I need to search my extended network for a truck big enough to haul the trailer/truck

HOPEFULLY the week after the 4th will prove to be the magic week.

That's a real bummer. Not sure if anyone here other than Tom is from MN, maybe he knows someone that would haul it for you? Especially if his buddy is close by? If I were close we could work something out, good luck and I'm sure you will get it all figured out.

"good" news tentatively scheduled with another friend for July 14th...sigh, the 14th...to get it moved.   Might just take a few days off to tear into it before summer is GONE!  I had wanted to get the power train all fixed up, cleaned and repainted this year yet....dunno if that's gonna happen now.

Any suggestions as to tear down order, etc?

What exactly are your plans for the engine? If it runs good and you don't plan on modifying it I would be hesitant to tear it down. Maybe do a compression test and if it's all to spec I probably wouldn't touch it. 150k is nothing for those engines given they weren't run hard and put away wet. I would definitely regasket anything that looks questionable, IE oil pan, front gear case, tappet cover, etc. Tab the kdp if it hasn't been done (you will know as soon as you remove the gear case).Would be a good time to throw a reseal kit on your vacuum pump while its out as they are prone to leaking. It would also be a good idea to check the oil pan for corrosion if it has seen any salt over the years, they are pretty well known around here for rotting out.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head, I'm sure others will chime in.

• 2 weeks later...

Monday IS pick up day so I can get some pics for you guys!   :hyper:

Plans for the engine:  it hasn't been run in about 6 years, my friend's brother ran it dry of diesel, so at a minimum it would have to be re-primed.  Since it will be "out" of the truck, I'm thinking a tear down to inspect everything and do some upgrades for performance and such will just get done.  Then I won't have to even think about doing any engine work for a LONG time.

Parts from the old body:  anything and everything will be up for sale/donation (depending on condition).  I plan on pulling all the climate controls and wiring for the next build, but the dash part itself could go someplace else.  

Needless to say, I bought this sight unseen from one of my best friends, so I'm REALLY hoping that him and I won't have to have a discussion about the sale price after I get into it.

Edited by PilotHouse2500

all moved...wow, all four wheels had seized and had to be broken loose.  5.5 hour ordeal to get him moved.  Below is a link to the album of pics.  Of note:  headliner looks to be in good shape for anyone wanting to offer a few pennies for it.  Driver side seat is "ok" the outside edge is a bit soft, but otherwise ok, Passenger side seems good.  Dash is CRACKED!  Front to back.  Anything else you see you might be interested in let me know and I'll see if it will be available.  I hope to start tearing down Friday.

2014-07-14 18.41.04.jpg

Edited by PilotHouse2500