• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

the pants already have holes in them, that's why I'm using them!

as for the metal aspect, I'm learning, my neighbor is teaching me, and I've been around sheet metal for 30 years as an engineer, so it's just learning to look at it different than the wood projects I can do in my sleep.  As a friend asked me "are you a grinder or a welder?"  My reply was a grinder learning to be a welder.  Most of welding is time, and LOTS of beads being put down.  I'm still learning my welder after having it for 7 years.  

I've been a wood worker for 40+ years, I do many projects each year, lots of kitchen remodels andmudroom lockers, but my heart is in furniture.

2017-01-14 10.13.43-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PilotHouse2500 said:

the pants already have holes in them, that's why I'm using them!

as for the metal aspect, I'm learning, my neighbor is teaching me, and I've been around sheet metal for 30 years as an engineer, so it's just learning to look at it different than the wood projects I can do in my sleep.  As a friend asked me "are you a grinder or a welder?"  My reply was a grinder learning to be a welder.  Most of welding is time, and LOTS of beads being put down.  I'm still learning my welder after having it for 7 years.  

I've been a wood worker for 40+ years, I do many projects each year, lots of kitchen remodels andmudroom lockers, but my heart is in furniture.

2017-01-14 10.13.43-1.jpg

That is very nice. Most of what projects I get do are that involved. Beings I am on the road constantly that would take me 3 or 4 years to build even using Kregg joints for joinery. 

Absolutely beautiful.

27 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

What kinda top are you gonna do? Better let her pick it out or you'll be up the creek for a very long time.

I am crazy but not stupid. She picked the one thats on there from the cabinet install. Thought she was crazy when picked it but looked great after I installed it. 

I would really like to try and do a concrete counter top. Lot of kits out there to do them. But that will require retirement for the time needed. Fair amount of labor involved.

• Staff

I saw black walnut tree trunks milled flat and fit together every which way for counters. It was the coolest ever. The guy didn't get particular just fit every which way to make it work with each piece. Then he varnished it about 4 coats. Man that was nice to see. I wouldn't want the concrete cause it might crack making the lip or overhang on the edge. Too heavy, too boss. and having to deal with wire and rebar. I vote walnut for the wife.:thumb1: Boy is this thread ever hijacked. Sorry PilotHouse2500 :whistle:

They are actually no heavier the stone counter tops. Stone can crack too. I also like the idea of wood counter tops too.  We will just have to see what happens.

I like to think we are providing interesting filler material between shoots of the Pilothouse. Keep the pictures coming please.

I don't mind a little hijacking...means people actually are reading about my insanity!  I moderate a classic Dodge website so I see plenty of it.  Meanwhile my most recent install below w/ butcher block tops and the funky corner cabinet I built, floating shelves to be installed after the tile goes in. 

I don't like the concrete tops as stated they are a PITA and time consuming and almost 100% will crack someplace over it's life.  Our kitchen (cherry one above) we did the quartz tops...wife likes it so I like it!

20200119_175421.jpg.7cbb4a28b1170ab114aa2517dcff46c6.jpg

20200119_175452.jpg

20200118_162354.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Never seen corner drawers like that..... cool as a pool. We just did floating shelves two weeks ago. :thumb1:

I'm a little lost on this comment Dave110.... Do you mean Drawers pulled out and set on the floor? Lol!

I think he means the jeans I have laying over the NV4500 to keep it from getting marked up from weld spatter.

• Thanks 1

• Staff

I'd avoid concrete counters because concrete always shrinks with time as it cures and then cracks seem to appear later. I had a client that bought a home with a new sunroom added on. It had a concrete floor, but a tile floor was set over the concrete and over time the tile lifted like a bubble in the middle and when the new owner stepped out the tile sounded like a gun going off when it shattered. I had never seen anything like that when he showed me and we were all baffled as to why it happened, cause mid floor had lifted tile. not the perimeter. We had no other explanation except that the concrete had to shrink with time.

Add that I have to guarantee work I do and you can see why I avoid concrete countertops. 

Edited by JAG1

Concrete does shrink a bit in the first 28 days. And it is subjet to contraction and expansion with heat and cold variations. Even in a sun room that is climate controlled I would assume is going get sunlight. This will cause expansion and contraction in the tile and the slab. They dont always do this equally. They make expansion/contraction joints for tile that takes place of a grout joint just for this purpose. We used to do alot of tiled sidewalks when I used to build Burger Kings and used them liberaly for that very reason. Without those joints the tile will buckle and heave.