• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

12 hours ago, JAG1 said:

@PilotHouse2500, forgive me I do not know what a front 'clip' is. Those look like some sort of pivot. Is that so the entire front opens up around the engine? Like on a big rig where the hood and fenders are all one and lift up out of the way?

yah the whole front part of the body, fenders hood and grill tip like a semi.

• Staff
12 hours ago, PilotHouse2500 said:

yah the whole front part of the body, fenders hood and grill tip like a semi.

So Kewl.... yep you'll be sellin' it to me because I'll nag you to death! :lol:

BTW, Your truck just got an official inspection... my wife looked it over and says, ''everything is alright''!

Edited by JAG1

14 hours ago, JAG1 said:

So Kewl.... yep you'll be sellin' it to me because I'll nag you to death! :lol:

BTW, Your truck just got an official inspection... my wife looked it over and says, ''everything is alright''!

first I'd have to finish, second I'd have to drive and enjoy for a while, third I'd have to want to sell it!  :tongue:

Edited by PilotHouse2500
  • Haha 1

• Owner

Sorry @JAG1 your not getting it that easy... :lmao2::lmao:

I will admit I would love to actually get a look at it in person and then a ride and feel that old school power. I had to go back and look at the starting date of this thread which was March of 2014. That is 9 years in building this custom truck. I'm sure @PilotHouse2500 is going to want to play for at least a few years after its done.

• Staff

Once upon a time I bought two 1964 chevy pickups in order to put together one nice 64 stepside. It had a mildly pumped 283  with 4 barrel carb, 3 on the tree. I loved that truck when done. The beautiful wood plank flatbed was nice but, I had to sell it when I put too much time into a nice home that I built for a good family just 8 miles from me. At least I thought they were until... well we won't go into that.

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Are you planning on using gas support shocks to help lift the front clip? Asking because I think it's going to be heavy anyhow!

Might have to drop on some gas supports....but regardless electric screw drive...all depends on the pivot point and arm lenght I can do....cause ya, it aint light.

• Like 1

• Staff

Acme Threaded Rod? We used it to lift and close an irrigation gate we built in front of spillway. It shut off the water to the spillway, raised the water level high enough behind the dam to feed a waterwheel. Coolest day at work getting that going again after many many years of just hanging there all crooked with long gone shaft bearings.

Edited by JAG1

18 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Stellar idea. I wonder how much weight it can push... :think:

The one I'm looking at is 500 pounds.  Using 2, I could push 1000 pounds,  add in a lever arm and.....bob's your uncle!  Some out there spec to 2000 pounds each.

Edited by PilotHouse2500
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Aren't there shops that can custom make those? I'm not sure but, it may work to look at the parts available for the guys that build the twin turbos. There may be a section of it that with the right amount of turn or angle your looking for. If it had to be a precise turn and angle I might think about making a prototype out of flexible 3 or 4 inch dryer vent duct. It would have to be the corrugated aluminum not the slinky type stuff.

Just want to say the corrugated aluminum stays put as long as you stretch it out before bending and you do not bump it. It would be stable enough to put tape over the custom elbow to sort of paper mache into holding shape. The 3 inch is probably closer in size also

Edited by JAG1