• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

About that high idle kit

• Owner

Just exactly what is this mpg fooler doing to the engine management to get these impressive numbers? Sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere on the forums.

Believe it or not retarding timing or preventing excessive advancement from excessive cold air. Cold air tends to hurt MPG's optimal IATtemps for MPG's is about 100-140*F

I let the truck warm up for a couple minutes after starting just to let the grids run a few times. Then I flip over to the mpg mode until the next time I shut it down. The only thing that fooler is doing is basically letting the computer think that it is 100 degrees F outside instead of whatever it actually is. This makes the computer advance the ignition timing to where it would be in the summer time. Thus, you gain the lost mileage back from the ignition timing being retarded for the cold air.

• Owner

I let the truck warm up for a couple minutes after starting just to let the grids run a few times. Then I flip over to the mpg mode until the next time I shut it down. The only thing that fooler is doing is basically letting the computer think that it is 100 degrees F outside instead of whatever it actually is. This makes the computer advance the ignition timing to where it would be in the summer time. Thus, you gain the lost mileage back from the ignition timing being retarded for the cold air.

Actually your backwards.

It sets the IAT to 143*F and retards the timing. The colder the air temp gets the more and more advanced the timing gets. Which with cold air and overly advanced timing gets that heavy knock where when you flip to MPG mode the knock fades away because of the retarded timing. High cetane winter fuel will make it even more pronounced.

• Like 1

My point is, would it be better to have the normal (advanced) timing while you are accelerating and running through gears, then once you are up to speed with your load you flip to MPG mode????

...nope. Because your just making the truck think its summer weather. So in essence, it would be like driving in AZ all year long, even though you may live in colder areas.

• Owner

Remember the timing is a dynamic thing. It still advances and retards but the timing is over all retarded compared to without the fooler. Like with P7100 pumps the more you bring timing down to like 13-14* realm the torque typically moves down in the RPM's. Where advance timing the torque curve typically moves up in RPM's hence which in racing they typically go upwards 16-17* and even more optimizing the torque curve for the RPM's. So the fooler is attempting to bring the timing value down to daily driver level mostly for city and non-interstate driving. As for Interstate driving the speed is typically to fast and the wind drag to great to see much change.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...