• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How much f. pressure is too much?

I do a lot of offroad driving. It's a little worrisome to have an protrusion hanging off the tank and having gravity fed fuel supply. But if located far enough back so that the driveline is lower than the sump I suppose that would protect the sump from damage. I think I'll do the Bean Diesel sump.

I don't want the name of the person or the forum to be released to the general public. That would be counter productive.

I completely agree.....  Very respectable of you and I'm not here to bash anyone personally either.....nor any forums as well.

• Owner

THat's why I asked for the pump so I could tear it apart and look and see what all the talk of this diaphragm. To this day I don't see this rubber disc anywhere. So far I part with the parts a bit and found most all parts (moving) are harden steel. I'm still digging all over the internet looking for a seal kit that includes the "diaphragm"...

THat's why I asked for the pump so I could tear it apart and look and see what all the talk of this diaphragm. To this day I don't see this rubber disc anywhere. So far I part with the parts a bit and found most all parts (moving) are harden steel. I'm still digging all over the internet looking for a seal kit that includes the "diaphragm"...

Hey Mike, there is no "rubber" disc diaphragm.  Its actually plastic and the updated versions are covered in stainless steel for added strength.  That said, there are little to no cracked diaphragm related failures you hear of anymore unless the VP is original OEM or replaced by a dealer with an off the shelf OEM replacement VP which hasn’t received the upgraded components.  I've posted a picture of the diaphragm before but for sake of the topic, here's another one.  Its the "C" looking thingy on the left.  I cant say why you cant find it unless the parts are proprietary to Bosch certified people.

DSC02376_zpsbd48b104.jpg

Is it possible that the 14 pound relief valve in the VP will regulate the pressure inside the VP? Meaning that within reason higher pressure would not be a factor in negative pump longevity? So even 25 to 30 pounds would be okay? Since 15 psi is straight up on my fuel pressure gauge that's an easy mark to never fall below. On the other hand I doubt that an occasional drop below 14 psi is going to be an issue. Since my stock pump was lucky to ever produced 12.

Is it possible for an average person to buy parts for the VP44.

It seems that you can take 1 apart...I looked very close at the one Mike dissassembled for us.

I would try to re do mine if it failed without causing catastrophic damage.

Just wondering if a little bag of parts might be good to have on hand.

A friend of mine swears he made up 1 good one for his truck from a couple or 3 cores.

Regards Chris

Is it possible that the 14 pound relief valve in the VP will regulate the pressure inside the VP? Meaning that within reason higher pressure would not be a factor in negative pump longevity? So even 25 to 30 pounds would be okay? Since 15 psi is straight up on my fuel pressure gauge that's an easy mark to never fall below. On the other hand I doubt that an occasional drop below 14 psi is going to be an issue. Since my stock pump was lucky to ever produced 12.

the relief valve tries to keep pressure at 14psi by opening, but a good lift pump will overcome what the relief valve will allow back to the tank so we get higher psi.  If you set your pressure to 50psi the pump still sees 50 ish psi, minus whatever flow the relief valve lets back to the tank.

Is it possible for an average person to buy parts for the VP44.

It seems that you can take 1 apart...I looked very close at the one Mike dissassembled for us.

I would try to re do mine if it failed without causing catastrophic damage.

Just wondering if a little bag of parts might be good to have on hand.

A friend of mine swears he made up 1 good one for his truck from a couple or 3 cores.

Regards Chris

Do you have the test bench to calibrate it? 

End Sarcasm

Very unlikely he could put it back together without needing to calibrate the computer on the top of the pump.  I guess if something very minor was wrong with it it might be possible, but if you need to calibrate the put you are up the creek.

Edited by me78569

• Owner

I think a person could get a seal kit and reseal a pump but as for rebuilding it and getting it right and calibrated with new parts I don't think it could be done properly. Not saying it not capable of being done but optimal pumping wouldn't be there.

@ Katoom There is that broken disc again. :duh: But it would surprise you how many "Injection shops" still tell customer their VP44 failed from a torn diaphragm. :rolleyes: I still get phone calls today about this diaphragm failure.

• Like 1

People are just used to blaming a broken diaphragm. LOL. Maybe because 21 years of child support is so painful. Just a mere $500 a month for 21 years is $126,000. That might cut into your truck modification fund. My buddy just finished his $900 a month child support payment. So he went out and bought a brand-new Dodge mega cab diesel with the savings. He thinks he's getting a free truck.

Edited by joecool911

Lets just say you had a pump that had a sticky / scored piston. Access to a good machine shop and some time not on the clock.

Could you repair this without having to reprogram or calibrate it.

If I don't ask I wont ever know.

Regards Chris

Well I guess if you knew the pump was on its way out and you could be sure that this was the problem then really the only thing you'd be giving up is the core charge if you eventually had to just buy one.  That is unless they accepted a core in peices.....

• Owner

Lets just say you had a pump that had a sticky / scored piston. Access to a good machine shop and some time not on the clock.

Could you repair this without having to reprogram or calibrate it.

If I don't ask I wont ever know.

Regards Chris

More than likely not. Being most all parts in the pump are harden steel there isn't a whole lot a person could do. Maybe clean it up a bit with sandpaper. But more than likely if you did the tolerance would be all goofy. This why most are just better off replacing the pump as a whole. But as for why I tore this one down is to bring information and understanding of what is inside the pump and possible reasons to why they fail so we can correct things to get better life from your pump.

• Like 1