• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Guage installation

Hey guys, finally got enough funds to install a Boost, Pyro, and the much needed Fuel Pressure Guages! I looked in to having them installed but it's going to run me around $300.00! So I thought I'd save my self some $ and try to find a step by step installion for them. Does anybody know where I can get my instructions preferably with pics? Thanks to all who chime in!!!!

There are good YouTube videos. Scattered but you can find them. Pyro is probably the hardest as you will need to drill the exhaust manifold. Spend a few hours on YouTube. Biggest worry about drilling is not getting excessive metal shavings in the exhaust manifold and don't break off the tap. Take it slow. Go until you feel resistance and then back out to expel shaving, oil and go some more. Geno's has some instructions as well. Boost and fuel pressure should be easy.

Not sure if cast iron will get picked up with a magnet? But if it does it would be good to go through the hole and pick up what you can. I've heard conflicting opinions about if the shavings will go into the turbo or just be expelled into the exhaust?

Edited by joecool911

The Isspro are a good brand, I installed a triple pillar last night in a friend's truck.  You will need a snubber for the fuel pressure sender.  I like to wrap the wires every 6 inches or so with a few rounds of electrical tape.  This way when you run them in the cab it is easier to identify which sensor is which and it is not such a mess.  A good 1/8 NPT is critical, last night we bought a new one just because we wanted a new one with good sharp cutters.  On my 2000 the dimmer circuit on headlight switch is a tan wire and I tapped the cig lighter for power.  Heres a link to Mopars gauges.  http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/38-interior/105-gauges

yep,   cast  shavings are magnetic..  

And yes,  there will be a little  shavings   during drilling,  but  a little more during the tapping.  Most of  them  are chased OUT  with the bit.    Which direction is the hole going to be?  horizontal or  vertical

I remember hearing about a guy who didn't want to  take the chance of   'foreign bodying'   his  turbo,  so  he  fired up the engine, and drilled it, and  tapped while it was running.The  pressure   in the exhaust    was   thought to  blow out the shavings  back towards  you...  same  with the tapping operation.

I'd  pack  some  heavy grease in the flutes of  the  cutter,  that'll  catch most debris.

Edited by rancherman

Here's some purty good instructions:

http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/CMS-G2gauges/CMS-gen2gaugeinstall.asp

And I've heard of too many people breaking their drill bits off in the manifold, and if that happens with the truck running, you're gonna have a long day.

I used grease on the drill bit, and placed magnets on the manifold around where I was drilling, and then when I was done drilling and tapping, I stuck a magnet down in the hole to pick up any shavings, and I used a shop vac and sucked them out of the hole. I wasn't taking any chances... :)

• Like 1

Texas CTD   you brought up a  good point,  with the  broken  bits.

Cast  iron  with a good  sharp bit  drills pretty quick,     and    If  you aren't paying attention,   You'll be  through  before you know it.

That's  when   the drill breaks... when   the   point hits the  far wall  inside the manifold.