• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vibration and Front end parts id

Rotated the tires today. I think I need to have them load balanced. I believe the vibration in the front is gone but at 70+mph I have a different feeling in the rear end. Which since I just moved the front tires to the back, that would make me think its the tires.

I still have the clunk in the front though. I checked out the brakes, sway bar end links, and control arms. Nothing looked out of the ordinary. Control arms were tight. Sway bar end links were tight, and brakes and rotors looked fine.

I just replaced the transmission. I don't know if that has something to do with it or not. I changed out the U-joint in the front shaft where it bolts to the front end. And I replaced the back two U-joints in the rear shaft. I marked everything and put it back exactly the way it was before. I check the old U-joints with a caliper and compared them to the new precision joints and I know I put the right U-joints back in.

I didn't get a chance to check ball joints. So I'm going to do that tomorrow and if there good I will then remove the front shaft and see what that does.

thanks

Also had a question about a ring I found. This was on the front passenger side. But there wasn't one on the drivers side? What is this ring for? Does it need to stay there or stay with the wheel?

Thanks

post-2118-0-56112200-1396009332_thumb.jp

Edited by kedlin88

That looks like a wheel spacer. Was that truck ever in an accident? Sometimes if the vehicle was wrecked I have seen where they will put a wheel spacer on one side to make the wheels look more even if the body or suspension is out of wack. I would not put that ring back on or I might get a matching on for the other side.

I believe that the spacer is there for alignment purposes if I remember right. I know there is one on my daughter's truck and I have seen them on other Dodge 4WD trucks. For some reason the right front needed to be moved out 1/8" to get the wheel in the proper spot. They are actually quite common, but if they don't fall off they won't be noticed.

You aren't an idiot. You are like the rest of us........ Now,for the driveshaft, that movement is in the slip joint, right? That seems like a fair amount of play, but I have seen worse that functioned just fine.

another thing to check for the vib is the crank shaft damper. After I changed mine all vibs went away. I could see the outside of it and it didn't look to bad but when I removed it the back side was very bad with the rubber coming out from between the two pieces. Put a Fluiddamper and am very happy with the results.

My Dodge was all over the road. I read everything I could find on all available Diesel Websites and installed a Steering Brace [online purchase $199.95] which helped. Then I had my tires rotated and balanced and that helped but did not solve the problem. Went to my Mechanic and he tested my Ball Joints which were fine, but still had the steering problem. Finally I checked my tires again and found two were blistered, tread was separating from casing so I bought two new Firestone TransForce Tires and they really helped but still had wondering and vibration so I installed four new Monroe Gas filled shocks, Steering Shock Asorber and new Sway Bar Links which solved the problem. My truck drives like it was new. I'm going to buy two matching tires and replace the rear Sway Bar Links ASAP. This Dodge is a great truck but they are like our women. You gott'a take care of them.

• Like 1