• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vibration and Front end parts id

Took this from a Geno's article:

Flaw: Driveline vibration based on road speed.

Fix: It sounds like a worn out driveshaft universal joint or unbalanced shaft, but may also be caused by a bad carrier

bearing or bearing support in a two-piece driveshaft system. The bearing cannot be re-lubricated by the owner,

and the entire sealed carrier bearing assembly must be replaced. This is presently a Dodge-only part. A heavy load

in the lower gears will cause driveline windup as well, leading to vibration that lessens with road speed or less

torque applied to the axle. On Third Generation trucks, the driveline alignment should be checked as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Mines the same between 30-45mph. Doesn't matter what the road conditions are.Lower then 30, or higher then 45, smooth as can be.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to drive it and see if the tie rod ends helped any. If not then I'll rotate the tires. If that doesn't help I'll pull the front drive shaft and see what that dose.

I was planning on checking the brakes while I was rotating the tires.

I would check the tires for tread separation or blisters.

• 3 weeks later...

For our trucks they are inner and outer tie rods basically but there are 5 pieces to the puzzle. There is a Tie rod at the pitman arm, Left hand  tie rod end, right hand tie rod end, Cross link tie rod and then the track bar. If your planning on replacing these parts definatly look into the 03 and newer upgrade parts. It will eliminate some of the really bad wear and tear these parts go through. I used the BD Track bar kit on mine. like this one

http://www.dieselautopower.com/product-p/bd%20track%20bar%201032011.htm

I have a very slight shimmy at about 40mhp also and none of these parts fixed it. But the front end is nice and tight again. The one thing I haven't done yet was pull the drive lines out and have them checked for balance or wear. This is the next thing I will try to see if it fixes my vibration or shimmy.

Look at the first photo, to the rear sway bar, it looks bent and the bushing attachment looks broken. Repairing this would be a good place to start.

My torque converter is slipping and it shakes the whole truck. It gives a little shudder on shifts then in 3rd lock and 4th lock you can feel it catch and slip. Also, my sway bar end links were loose at the bushings, same with my shocks and it lead to cupping tires and a small vibration.