• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

More on turbo whistle

6.0 Fords with a straight pipe do tend to really whistle and howl like a turbine.  I don't enjoy it.  It isn't real power, its just noise.  

You can pull your silencer ring... but in reality it is more annoying than anything else. There are no gains to whistle, just noise.  

You could run a straight pipe with a resonator, which I do.  It has a nice sound with that slight turbo through the exhaust that is pleasant without "drone."  Sometimes you will have a drone at cruise with a straight pipe alone that can be very annoying in cab. It also has better flow with a bigger pipe.

To be frank, I've always viewed the guys that pulled their rings to be a little over enthusiastic.  

• Like 1

In all honesty, when I put on the BHAF, I loved the whistle, as it was new & sounded cool. Now, I kinda use the annoying whistle as an MPG control system. THe less whistle, the better the MPGs. Sorta crude, but works for me.

Ed

Same here. Straight pipe with the BHAF works well and the turbo whistle is loud but I try to keep the whistle down for better MPG lol. That and how much i stab the throttle in low rpms. I honestly feel like the truck is a bit loud and a resonator is in my future :)

My exhaust is Super modded... I used a Sawzall to cut it off behind the resonator & added a turndown... When I do a new turbo, it will be 4" all the way (HX40 flange) & have a muffler. May be stacks & a flatbed... I personally think a free flow muffler will rob little power & quiet it down a touch. Of course, my hearing is not near as goos as when younger...

Ed

• Owner

I've straight piped my stock pipe and pull my ring for while. Then put it back in. Then I destroyed my turbo with that hose clamp and had it rebuilt. Then stuck the ring back in the turbo bark blew it out and I caught it time before damage was caused. I've left the ring out since then.