• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injectors = Higher MPG?

DAP uses Bosch bodies, rebuilds them, does a bit of extrude honing (I THINK) & them flow matches them with high pressure fluid, rather than low pressure air. It's a fine process, as Jacob described all that goes into it. They also have "Aftermarket" injectors with no core charge, but I doubt they go through the same process. One thing to remember, with your HO pump, you will have a bit more timing advance, so use lower timing levels on the Smarty. 50-75 HP injectors seem just what you need. If you EVER plan on upgrading the turbo, just go for 75-100 HP now to save the future investment.

Ed

All this assuming your going to drive the exact same way you did prior to getting the extra power...most people don't.

The 275s are a nice bump in power but I have been thinking about upgrading to something more.

As for the Smarty, it has been confirmed by sources at MADS that they will be releasing UDC for the 2nd gen crowd. Should be interesting to see what they come up with considering what they have done with the third gen crowd.

Yep, I agree here too... If you are 'making' or requiring an extra 75 horse... there's no way

your going to 'up' your economy. It takes something on the order of ~ 4 gallons per hour to make

EACH additional

100 horsepower (continuously)

.......which should be around 3 gallons EXTRA per hour to maintain your 75 horse increase.

Sorry, but physics are physics.

Now, I'll agree with Mikes explanation of how these new injectors will clean up via smaller droplet,

(the faster injection time plus the finer droplet size) helps a little with efficiency with THAT

INCREASE of fuel... but it's still an increase!!

it's when you go back to 'cruise mode' is where the increase in mpg will be seen.

For me, and just about any other 'boy' in here, keeping the foot out of it for the next oh, 10,000 miles or so, would take a herculean effort!! :)

Edited by rancherman
  • Like 1

DAP uses Bosch bodies, rebuilds them, does a bit of extrude honing (I THINK) & them flow matches them with high pressure fluid, rather than low pressure air. It's a fine process, as Jacob described all that goes into it. They also have "Aftermarket" injectors with no core charge, but I doubt they go through the same process. One thing to remember, with your HO pump, you will have a bit more timing advance, so use lower timing levels on the Smarty. 50-75 HP injectors seem just what you need. If you EVER plan on upgrading the turbo, just go for 75-100 HP now to save the future investment.

Ed

How will I be able to lower the timing on the smarty? I think it either adds timing or doesn't. Do larger injectors require less timing?

I got the rv 275 I like the small increase in power and gained 1.8 mpg when I don't play with  the extra power. I use a boost elbow and fooler so that my boost is max 29 lbs. I happy with the setup for now, maybe later will change.

How will I be able to lower the timing on the smarty? I think it either adds timing or doesn't. Do larger injectors require less timing?

What is being suggested is that you don't go crazy with the smarty and jack the timing way up.

The Smarty S03 allows you to change the timing setting by selecting settings between 1 and 4.

So you can select the Catcher number you want and then you can select something like 'make adjustments' and then set the timing settings between 1-4.  I think 4 is the highest timing setting.

I run an S06 but on the S03 I believe the timing setting of 1=stock, 2=advanced, 3=moderate and 4=greatest.

The Smarty S03 allows you to change the timing setting by selecting settings between 1 and 4.

So you can select the Catcher number you want and then you can select something like 'make adjustments' and then set the timing settings between 1-4.  I think 4 is the highest timing setting.

I run an S06 but on the S03 I believe the timing setting of 1=stock, 2=advanced, 3=moderate and 4=greatest.

Well I am on Catcher #5 so, adding injectors I need to possibly lower the timing? I need to play with the settings some but when I hear adding injectors and then all of a sudden I need to watch timing, that doesn't really mean much to me??

It has been a while since I even plugged my Smarty in but I am running #7 with timing set either on two or three. I had my smarty before I installed my injectors and never changed my settings, but I also have an SO pump. I'm not sure what the difference in timing is between the two but I would think it's irrelevant because the Smarty changes those parameters anyway. Brian from Smarty hangs around here once in a while, he would be the guy to ask. You could probably shoot him a PM.

Well I am on Catcher #5 so, adding injectors I need to possibly lower the timing? I need to play with the settings some but when I hear adding injectors and then all of a sudden I need to watch timing, that doesn't really mean much to me??

In general adding timing (as compared to stock timing) will help with mpg's.  In the Smarty programing I believe that each level of Catcher (default mode) will add higher timing levels.   For example (I made these numbers up for illustration only) Catcher 3 with the highest timing level may have timing at 15 degrees advance, Catcher 5 may have 17degrees, Catcher 7 may have 19 degrees and Catcher 9 may have 21 degrees.

My personal experience is that timing may need to be adjusted down if you are towing heavy (to help control egt's etc) but if you are not heavily loaded advanced timing will help with mpg's.  If you drive your truck hard and maybe race with it, highly advanced timing will generate more heat and can go to the extreme and melt pistons etc. 

Guages can help you monitor your operating conditions so that you don't abuse or cause harm to your engine.  As an example I have 50hp upgraded injectors and I run on Catcher 9 with the most advanced timing I can get and get the best mpg's (22+ hand calculated on a CR).   I also have guages so I know the operation conditions of my engine.  I don't drive with a heavy foot and don't use the raw power of Catcher 9 (+ 210 hp) but take advanced of all the other tuning parameters that Catcher 9 provides my engine.

So if mpg's is your goal and you don't drive your truck hard, then try changing the timing level in Catcher 5 and see if you can see a difference in any of the settings and just monitor the operating parameters of your engine.  I would even try the higher levels of Smarty and do the same thing to find out what works well with your truck.  I don't know what kind of tranny you have in your truck but if it is an auto just know that a heavy foot in the higher levels of Catcher will fry an auto if it is not built for the power.  Just because you run level 9 doesn't mean you will wreack your transmission.  It's all in the discipline of your foot.