• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need help with driveshaft

So I've been having a lot of vibrations from my truck over 65 mph. I figured it out be the carrier bearing between my two driveshafts.

I did some research and found a place semi local who would build me one for $650. I start saving for this among other things I really need for my truck right now.

Yesterday I was searching craigslist and found a guy selling an aluminum one piece drive shaft out of a 1998 ram 2500 quadcab short bed automatic. He said the measurement center of u joint to center of u joint is 68 inches.

I went out to my truck this evening and with the help of a friend measure my driveshaft center to center and came up with 68.5 inches. With it being that close I'm VERY interested in this driveshaft. The question I have is IF I convert to a one piece shaft is there a way to remove the balancer on the back of the trans and use a slip yoke?

Because I feel like if I can make that happen this shaft will work. The slip yoke I if possible I would imagine should give me enough play to make up the half inch extra id need in length, and compensate for when the suspension moves and the driveshaft slides in

And opinion is greatly appreciated

Is the vibration just under acceleration or continuous? If it is just under acceleration then you shim the carrier bearing to straighten out the driveshaft. It can take as much as 1/4" of shims. If it is constant then you may have had a balace weight remove itself from the shaft in which case you may be able to find another one to replace it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...