• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Experienced a dead pedal for the first time heading up the Blue Mountains last month on a trip to Seattle.

Didn't recur again for a day, but occurred periodically on the return trip home.  Seems to be under light load - last freeze frame shows 8.2%.

No CEL, but found the DTC P0216 when I plugged in the scanner today, no other codes.  

I have 2 questions: First, I'm trying to follow the article (P0216 Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure)

and properly diagnose the problem. Where is "See FUEL INJECTION PUMP TIMING in ON-VEHICLE ADJUSTMENTS - RAM PICKUP - DIESEL article." located? I can't find it anywhere here.

Second question: Does it matter? From what I'm reading, is the pump doomed? I've seen references to the "Death Code". If I'm just buying time by going through the diagnostics, I'd rather replace both pumps now and be done with it and have a reliable truck.  I really don't want to waste a bunch of time and repeated repairs.

Thanks!

• Staff

I've never gotten dead pedal but been runnin with the 0216 code for 2 or 3 years now using heavey doses of 2 stroke oil in the fuel and keeping fuel pressure/ flow good. Mine could have been set off, though, by bad fuel flow sucking air at times

Unknown what the fuel pressure is. Just got the truck in January, & haven't installed instrumentation yet. Just turned over 116k on the clock.  I think it belonged to snowbirds that just pulled a travel trailer back and forth between SLC & Arizona, so it likely spent a lot of time just sitting around.

Since it's a 2001, I've been running the 2 cycle oil in it @ 128:1 since I read about it. 

Think the next step is the standard gauges so I can see what's going on.

Even if you are low on cash at the moment, a NEW stock replacement is better than a worn stocker. Best to get a good aftermarket fuel system. Also, check your fuel filter. Then, next step is a FP gauge. Then, BHAF, tuner, injectors, turbo, twind, supercharger with 2 turbos feeding it, Nitrous, Propane....... Next step is a GE turbine in the bed....

Ed

• Like 2

• 7 years later...
  • Staff
On 4/6/2014 at 4:09 PM, Yankneck696 said:

Even if you are low on cash at the moment, a NEW stock replacement is better than a worn stocker. Best to get a good aftermarket fuel system. Also, check your fuel filter. Then, next step is a FP gauge. Then, BHAF, tuner, injectors, turbo, twind, supercharger with 2 turbos feeding it, Nitrous, Propane....... Next step is a GE turbine in the bed....

Ed

You won't need all that unless your hobby is power mods, just make it reliable and take care of it. It money in the bank if you treat it right.

The reason your timing piston wore out is the diesel fuel is low in lubricity. You need to add a quart of 2 stroke oil to every tank of fuel. It will love you for it and you will feel the engine just thanking you for the real fuel oil it supposed to get.

Edited by JAG1