• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Suggestion's for upgrade's for Heavy 5th wheel towing?

My  'better idea'   has been, and always will be  'two speed rear axle'.     I've never liked  the idea of  having OD  in the  transmission. High gear should be     straight through.  Period.   Now,  when  you need more axle  rpm's...  flip the button  up  and   clunk.  ya got   your  extra  gear...

Unfortunately,   2 ton trucks  are the only  axles  I've ever seen  with   this.      :doh:   And  it would only work with   2 wd  only.    

never mind. 

• Like 1

Chrysler has a 9 speed in the 200 car model! My friend has an 8 speed in his 2014 1500 Hemi RT truck & loves it, & he's a manual shift guy!

Also the 6 speed is more robust 200 pounds heavier. I could live w both no problem. Still, either one is superior to a 47RE, IMHO.

Now my problem is I have a leak, smells like the syncro oil. Front seal maybe. I have 6 1/2 qts in there, could the pressure be blowing it out?

Always something,

Dave

Chrysler has a 9 speed in the 200 car model! My friend has an 8 speed in his 2014 1500 Hemi RT truck & loves it, & he's a manual shift guy!

Also the 6 speed is more robust 200 pounds heavier. I could live w both no problem. Still, either one is superior to a 47RE, IMHO.

Now my problem is I have a leak, smells like the syncro oil. Front seal maybe. I have 6 1/2 qts in there, could the pressure be blowing it out?

Always something,

Dave

These would be the  Aisin  trans?   If so,  I've heard they look very very  similar to Allison?

• Staff

Try Goose Creek grade from New Meadows to McCall (7% grade). Last trip up that I still had zero problems. 4th gear all the way up towing the RV. Very rarely have I touched 3rd gear. Whitebird grade again 7% grade pull in 4th gear no sweat. Lewiston ID grade another 7% grade pull it again in 4th gear. 

Remember I live in Idaho too. None of those are slow winding roads (little goose creek is the closest), exhibited by the ability to use 4th. If your in 4th your too fast for the roads where a 6 speed is a big difference. 4th on a 5 speed and 5th on a 6 speed are the same, as you know, so there won't be a difference.

Tow up the old whitebird grade, 2 of the miles has 8 switchbacks and better than 6%,  at 18K lbs GCW and you will see where the 3/4 of the 6 speed is nice over just the 3 of the 5 speed. Other steep/winding grades are the grade out of Lowman headed South 9 miles of 6-9% grades and several hairpin curves (did that one at 19.5K GCW in July), the Greer grade from ID-12 toward Weippe on ID-11 which is 7 miles of 6%-12% grades and VERY tight hairpin curves (Done it several times up and down at 18K+ GCW).

I don't think you will find many people who would rather run a 5 speed for towing, gearing is king. The NV-4500 is a great transmission, the NV-5600 is just better :hyper::2cents:

• Like 2

AH64ID,

Your explanation is well represented. How are your EGT's during all of this?Is your boost at the stock pressure level? Do you have engine brake or are you using the gears to slow your descent?

John, you don't have a Gen 2 any longer?

BTW, my truck is going to get checked out today to see where my leak is coming from, I'll keep you posted on the diagnosis. The input shaft cover is a gasket, maybe the NV5600 is coming out again!

Dave

• Staff

Slow, steep winding roads at 18-20K GCW will put me at 900°-1100° depending on a host of factors. 6-8% grades at 55-65 runs 1050-1150° in 5th, and I will pull some hills in 6th and if they get much above 5%, or hot or high, I can hit 1250° but it's not common. Last time I hit 1250° in 6th I was at 19.5K, above 6500', on a 4-5% grade on a 85° day. The slower the road the lower the EGT's. With the cam and turbo I actually run less boost than the stock turbo, but a lot more airflow.

I am running a Jacobs exhaust brake, that will run about 70-75psi of back pressure with the cam.. luckily I have the valve springs to hold it in the cylinder.

• Like 2

BTW, my truck is going to get checked out today to see where my leak is coming from, I'll keep you posted on the diagnosis. The input shaft cover is a gasket, maybe the NV5600 is coming out again!

Dave

keep us posted on what you find Dave,    My  5600  is   sitting   in my possession   because  PO    said it was leaking out the front too..  and  wanted  a  NEW  transmission..   dam the cost..    (I'm sure  he  WAS  'dam'd :broke: )   This  was    4-5 years ago. 

So,  it's  been  sitting on  my shop floor   awaiting    it's  turn   for   OH.         

You got the  raised  capacity now?

Try Goose Creek grade from New Meadows to McCall (7% grade). Last trip up that I still had zero problems. 4th gear all the way up towing the RV. Very rarely have I touched 3rd gear. Whitebird grade again 7% grade pull in 4th gear no sweat. Lewiston ID grade another 7% grade pull it again in 4th gear. 

https://goo.gl/maps/C9oQa

Here is going down Goose Creek.

Tow this up Goose creek in 4th also easy as pie! Close to 7,000# worth of trailer if not more...

post-1-0-09951400-1410738050.jpg

Mike, do you have a sawmill?

• 2 months later...

Always something,

Dave

I've been running 7qt in mine for 5k now now problems so far, make sure vent is clean. On axles too, some people change their seals just to leak again.
  • Like 1

Changed the seal, was torn, leaking again, only happens on long trips, I will recheck the vent!

Thanks,

Dave

No problema, is yours 2wd? Ether way after so many miles bushing can wear out and will ruin seal quickly. I don't think it's that hard to change. Put you truck in neutral and see how much play you got up and down where driveshaft goes in tranny, a little is ok and if you see seal flexing then you know you need bushing and new seal again. I bought a bushing for my truck from local tranny shop for $10 but don't need to change it yet, changing seal was all I needed.

• 2 months later...

I had a old 39 ft fleetwood fifth wheel I think it was a 93 model. Not real sure but talk about heavy and hard to pull. Never pulled it with the 02 I have but did with the 6.7 2010 3500 g56 dually. It had 3:73's and would have hated to think how hard it would have been with 3:55's. I live in ky but also have property in wy and that's is where I pulled that beast to and back. The roads or I should say the hills and pulling trailers in Eastern ky is a little different than out west where the climbs are steep but long where as here they are steep it just about the time you get in the power band you have a turn again. Interstates not so much but the two lane roads it is slow going. If I still had that beast and thought about towing it I would look into either 3:73's or 4:10's. That 2010 was a beast and lots of power and weighed at least 1200 lbs more than the 02. I wouldn't want to pull that big old trailer, it's to heavy, and sure doesn't slip though the wind like the new ones.