• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ram 1500 diesel

• Staff

W&F, Inwasnt ignoring you... I kissed the updates to this thread because my email and this forum don't see eye to eye. Incan go months without and update reminder, then they start working again for an unknown period of time.

Anyhow... The 700R4 was the stock Trans on many of the 6.2 1/2 tons and from what I saw, not as much as you, it didn't like the torque. The 10 bolt rear ends also seemed to get the Alabama treatment to their teeth more often than they should have.

It was a great platform, and yes did great on mileage but needed slightly stronger running gear, IMHO.

Several trannies can be expected, but transfer cases?

Do you see much of a difference only running 91 ethanol free? While I don't like the ethanol I have seen zero gains running it on anything by my carbed small engines. I logged several tanks and all I got was an increase in cost per mile.

I'd like to see a mid size SUV with a diesel and 3 rows, maybe a diesel pilot.

Since we just moved, this week and am house/land poor for a while, I am a ways off from getting the wife a different rig... Maybe a diesel pilot will come out between now and then.

My truck has averaged 29.3 cpm this year (20.2-42.4), but I offset that with a DD car that averages 11.2 cpm so far this year... Just filled up for 2.40, so cpm will be dropping.

Not sure.... but back 'then'   wasn't that the time  when  GM  went away from their  gearbox  transfer case,  and  went with a  chain drive?...    first  editions  may have had  problemos..

The only vehicle I have that  see's  any  benefit to running   91  alcohol free,  is  my Toyota..    The  knock sensor  really likes it..  and   advances  the  distributor...   But,  I"ll be  danged  to   throw in  40 cent more per gallon  in a  go-fer  type  bomber!!   CPM   probably a  'wash'.

Volkwagon:    congrats!   I wondered   who  was going to  snare one first in here! 

Sounds like a nice truck that gets very good fuel economy.  I still cannot get past the price.  For $56,000, I am reasonably confident that I can find a 1998.5 12V or a 2001.5 24V truck in half way decent shape, take my time, do a FULL frame off restore, rebuild EVERYTHING bumper to bumper, repaint, and refinish the cab interior and pretty much have a new truck for around half the price maybe 2/3rds depending upon how much work in out sourced.  In addition to the above, pay FAR, FAR, less in registration/personal property taxes on it when it comes time to get tags.  NO EGR systems, NO DEF, NO DPF, or any other EPA foolishness with almost as good a fuel economy and FAR more hauling/towing capacity. 

I realize that not everyone has the ability or shop to do this but I think at these prices it would still be cheaper to pay someone to do the above and come out money saved, just not as much. 

In any case, what makes America such a great place (or at least used to) is the freedom to choose what you want.  Some like chocolate and some like vanilla.  Glad you like your new truck and it meets your expectations.  That is a VERY rare occurrence these days.  Nice looking truck and I am sure the ride must be SOOOOOOO MUCH smoother and easy on the seat of the pants dynamometer compared to the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.  :thumbup2:

Sounds like a nice truck that gets very good fuel economy. I still cannot get past the price. For $56,000, I am reasonably confident that I can find a 1998.5 12V or a 2001.5 24V truck in half way decent shape, take my time, do a FULL frame off restore, rebuild EVERYTHING bumper to bumper, repaint, and refinish the cab interior and pretty much have a new truck for around half the price maybe 2/3rds depending upon how much work in out sourced. In addition to the above, pay FAR, FAR, less in registration/personal property taxes on it when it comes time to get tags. NO EGR systems, NO DEF, NO DPF, or any other EPA foolishness with almost as good a fuel economy and FAR more hauling/towing capacity.

I realize that not everyone has the ability or shop to do this but I think at these prices it would still be cheaper to pay someone to do the above and come out money saved, just not as much.

In any case, what makes America such a great place (or at least used to) is the freedom to choose what you want. Some like chocolate and some like vanilla. Glad you like your new truck and it meets your expectations. That is a VERY rare occurrence these days. Nice looking truck and I am sure the ride must be SOOOOOOO MUCH smoother and easy on the seat of the pants dynamometer compared to the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. :thumbup2:

I guess we all have different values. I have a 2500 ram so I didn't need another. We have some experience with DEF on the farm with zero issues so that one doesn't scare me. Besides with the kind of mileage it gets what does it matter if it has DEF or anything else on it? One fill (8 gallons)lasts 10K miles so it's not a big expense. Besides I didn't pay near the dollars you are talking about.

Sounds like a nice truck that gets very good fuel economy.  I still cannot get past the price.  For $56,000, :thumbup2:

I know of 2 people who bought 2013 early 2014 Crew cabs with the eco diesel for under 40K. Just because they do all the testing with the rigs loaded with everything and post the full retail list price doesn't mean they sell for that price.

John as far as the 700R4 they were just junk in the early years up till about 86 then they finally worked out the bugs and then aftermarket came up with numerous improvements for them, they didn't even hold up behind the 305 engines, and as far as t-case yes they were chain drive and they were and still are prone to just wearing out and breaking even new ones do, we go through tons of them at the mine I work at all chain related.

As far as running 91 premium I started running this about 2 summers ago as I used to run 89 ethanol in everything but up until 2-3 years ago something changed and I started having issues with every single small engine I owned all at the same time. Actually cost me a carburetor on a brand new generator. Had several conversations with small engine mechanics and different shops and thy all had the same story, ethanol of any kind only has a 30 day shelf life before deteriorating and causing issues, 87 octane ethanol free gas has a 60-90 day shelf life and most all 90+ ethanol free has a minimum rating of a 1 year shelf life and is the only gas recommended on small engines especially if they sit unused more than a few weeks at a time. No small engine mfg warranties any fuel system components due to the prevelance of ethanol anymore.

Plus I run a boat and ethanol in marine applications is just plain dangerous and one takes a big chance in running it there.

As far as my Ram it does start and run a ton better and it is really noticeable while towing heavy versus ethanol or regular 87 even my wife notices how big of a difference it makes in power. as far as mileage maybe 1 mpg gain but the overall difference is worth it for me.

Plus the biggest reason is political, I refuse to further support this monster of subsidized programs and the main cause for our crap for foods now days, take millions of acres of land out of food production and turn it into fuel and the downhill slide of all the GMO crops stemming from this to contaminating our food and water supplies and our overall health as a result in the name of "Cheap affordable food that will feed the world" What a load of crap that is when the medical costs far out weigh the "Cheap affordable food" in the long run, remember the health issues we see from eating grain are cumulative and not instant although look at all the obese kids with diabetes before they reach 5 years old anymore purely related to our food supply not lack of activity like they try to push..

Eat healthy whole grains they say, well the truth is there is no such thing as healthy whole grains "The human body was never designed to eat grains of any sort neither are cattle" as I say in other threads.................................follow the money.

Just for reference I was born and raised on a seven thousand acre grain and cattle operation and have a college education in agribusiness & farm management as well as a diesel degree, although I no longer farm "family issues beyond my control long story, I just left to persue other career choices" I still dabble in cattle on my in-laws farm with my wife.

Sounds like a nice truck that gets very good fuel economy.  I still cannot get past the price.  For $56,000, I am reasonably confident that I can find a 1998.5 12V or a 2001.5 24V truck in half way decent shape, take my time, do a FULL frame off restore, rebuild EVERYTHING bumper to bumper, repaint, and refinish the cab interior and pretty much have a new truck for around half the price maybe 2/3rds depending upon how much work in out sourced.  In addition to the above, pay FAR, FAR, less in registration/personal property taxes on it when it comes time to get tags.  NO EGR systems, NO DEF, NO DPF, or any other EPA foolishness with almost as good a fuel economy and FAR more hauling/towing capacity. 

In any case, what makes America such a great place (or at least used to) is the freedom to choose what you want.  Some like chocolate and some like vanilla.  Glad you like your new truck and it meets your expectations.  That is a VERY rare occurrence these days.  Nice looking truck and I am sure the ride must be SOOOOOOO MUCH smoother and easy on the seat of the pants dynamometer compared to the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.  :thumbup2:

I know people who have over 50k invested in 15 year old trucks,and they are doing good to get 2/3 the fuel economy and ride horrible compared to a brand new 1/2 ton with air ride suspension. Not to mention a bumper to bumper warranty. I love my 2nd gen and have no plans to sell it ever but it is becoming very outdated compared to the power and handling of today's trucks.add the fact that my kids are outgrowing my back seat and a low mileage 4th gen 13+ 3500 is in the cards for me as well. We have always lived with the attitude that if you can not pay for it up front, you probably don't need it and we have went many many years without any car payments. Rather than making a payment to the bank we put that money away each month and it does not get touched unless for an emergency. I can not justify the cost of the new ones but if I was in a different position, you bet I'd have one.just one of those things where each has to be comfortable with their decision.

I know of 2 people who bought 2013 early 2014 Crew cabs with the eco diesel for under 40K. Just because they do all the testing with the rigs loaded with everything and post the full retail list price doesn't mean they sell for that price.

Satisfaction is relative in that it means different things to different folks.  If the buyer is satisfied with the purchase and the price, you can't argue with that.  For myself, even at $40,000, that is just FAR too much.  I paid just under $29,000 for my 2002 and thought I paid too much but that was about the best price I could find anywhere nationwide.  They even gave me a fantastic trade in allowance for the POS Chevy Suburban on the deal.  I just can't see how people can justify that much money for something that is more or less basic transportation.  I can image the payments for most folks are pretty much in line with a house payment for an asset that is making NO income.  Were I not on a large farm and other related operations, it would be difficult to justify the two 2nd gen. trucks I currently have but they are paid for, so they stay. 

I suppose I am probably out of touch with the current society and daily lives.  I seem to be getting bad cases of sticker shock on a much frequent basis as of late.  Although I was delighted when I filled up at $2.89 a gallon for diesel yesterday.  :)

I know people who have over 50k invested in 15 year old trucks,and they are doing good to get 2/3 the fuel economy and ride horrible compared to a brand new 1/2 ton with air ride suspension. Not to mention a bumper to bumper warranty. I love my 2nd gen and have no plans to sell it ever but it is becoming very outdated compared to the power and handling of today's trucks.add the fact that my kids are outgrowing my back seat and a low mileage 4th gen 13+ 3500 is in the cards for me as well. We have always lived with the attitude that if you can not pay for it up front, you probably don't need it and we have went many many years without any car payments. Rather than making a payment to the bank we put that money away each month and it does not get touched unless for an emergency. I can not justify the cost of the new ones but if I was in a different position, you bet I'd have one.just one of those things where each has to be comfortable with their decision.

I think that's the way to do it.  Pay cash  (Although you can't pay more than $9,999 without being reported to the DHS.)  or check.  It REALLY makes you sit up and take notice when you have to count out that much money or write a check that size.  If you have the money and the right financial situation, yeah, go for it.  You're NOT gonna take ANY of it with you when you leave this ball of dirt.  I just hate to see folks get so deeply in debt and upside down in something especially like a vehicle which will lose so much value in the first few years. 

I would never pay that much for a vehicle personally either, I have never paid more than 27K for any vehicle I have ever owned and plan to never pay more if I can help it. I have paid in full for the last couple vehicle I have purchased and laugh at the sales dept. finance guys who try to talk me into financing "why not interest rates are so low the money is almost free they say" Well if it costs me a dollar of interest it isn't free, they all get kick backs from the lending institutions for every one they finance, sales and service isn't the only way dealerships make money.

My grandpa built up a 7K acre farm starting from 80 acres he bought in the early 1900's on one disciplined moral he stood by for his 97 year life, He didn't believe in financing anything, "If you can't afford it you don't need it" he would always say to me. He talked a lot of eating bugs and crickets and being happy he had that much to live off during the tough years of drought and depression of the early 20th century.

Entitlement welfare programs didn't exist just natural survival which is how it needs to be again, let natural selection fix our issues not my hard earned dollar the government forces me to share.

I think buying a new diesel is probably better than used.  We've all seen the youtube vids of kids holding their trucks to the floor trying to get them to start at -20F and letting it sit at 2000RPM until the engine is warm enough to not die again.  That's drastic but you never know what problems lie just 1000 miles down the road.  Buying new, it's yours to maintain.  A gasser I wouldn't care so much about.  They don't have expensive components to replace like a diesel so whatever goes wrong isn't going to send you in the poor house.  With these new diesels being so finicky, I wouldn't chance it on some pre owned guy who probably ran dirty corn oil through it.  A 12 valve wouldn't matter much but people still use that ideology on these new engines and either luck out or pay the price.  

Then there is the ride quality....nothing beats something new.  My dodge and jeep both hop over little tar patches in the road, it sucks.  New cars don't even notice railroad tracks.  

I am very interested in hearing more so keep us posted Volkswagon.  

• Like 2

I'm  Just   glad  someone is  willing to buy them  new!! 

How many of  members  here  can  remember the  'first'  pickup that broke the  10k  mark??   I  thought  we were in the  'End Times'..

I was  12 yo   when  dad  rolled home in his first  new pickup,   a  1973  GMC    1500,  and  he  paid  2850 for it.      It was  a  demo,  with 120 miles  on the clock.

• Like 1

I'm  Just   glad  someone is  willing to buy them  new!! 

How many of  members  here  can  remember the  'first'  pickup that broke the  10k  mark??   I  thought  we were in the  'End Times'..

I was  12 yo   when  dad  rolled home in his first  new pickup,   a  1973  GMC    1500,  and  he  paid  2850 for it.      It was  a  demo,  with 120 miles  on the clock.

On my 12th birthday, in 1969, I remember my father coming home with his brand new Chevy C-10, 307 2bbl., 3 on the tree, AM radio, and heater.  If I remember correctly, I think he paid something like $1875 for it.  He STILL has that truck.  It is not in driveable condition but it could be.