• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Replace Fan Hub Bearing

I am needing to replace my “Fan hub bearing” as dodge calls it. I'm looking for some general tips / feedback etc, if anyone has replaced the fan hub bearing before. Listed below are few specific questions

1) Based on the diagrams I've found on line the “hub” bolts to the front of the engine, once the bolts are removed any surprises there I should be aware off.

2) From my research the bearing is pressed in, tips to get it out and re-isntalled. I do not have access to a press aside from a rubber mallet, block of wood, bottle jack etc.,

3) Tips removing the fan clutch, (saw one that said use c clamp to hold fan pulley in place). The threads on the fan clutch are opposite rotation ?

In past I've used sockets, pvc that has diameter of bearing I'm installing / re-installing. Read some where that's not recommended for the fab hub bearing.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

On my 98.5 I used the c clamp and just took a bar that was about 2.5in by 2feet and cut a section out to fit the nut. I did first remove the fan blade and it slid out and then removed the big nut in about 15 min.  putting it back was a little longer just trying to get the bolts on the fan. I did make a couple of studs for temp use to hold the blade in place till I got the other bots started.

I  think the  threads on the  big nut on the  fan clutch  are  left hand.   Turn the  nut  clockwise to loosen.

I did  a  front cover  reseal  last fall,  and if  memory serves,    I put a  wrench on that   nut,  and   a  quick  smack  with  a  hammer on the  wrench  had it  broke loose   (one time  'impact wrench'  LOL )

So yes the fan clutch is left hand thread. You will have to remove it before you remove anything else. The fan shroud will need to come off with the flan and clutch assembly then the 6 10mm bolts from the belt pulley. Once off there are 4 10mm bolts that hold the bearing assembly to the block. Remove those and you will see the bearing on the back side. I have not been able to replace one with out a press though. You may be able to use a C-clamp or a bench vise to squeeze it out??? not sure but it goes back together in the reverse order. Hope this helps.

• Owner

So yes the fan clutch is left hand thread. You will have to remove it before you remove anything else. The fan shroud will need to come off with the flan and clutch assembly then the 6 10mm bolts from the belt pulley. Once off there are 4 10mm bolts that hold the bearing assembly to the block. Remove those and you will see the bearing on the back side. I have not been able to replace one with out a press though. You may be able to use a C-clamp or a bench vise to squeeze it out??? not sure but it goes back together in the reverse order. Hope this helps.

Be careful about bench vises. I've broke two bench vises doing stuff like that one I broke pressing U-joints back in a driveshaft.

Thanks for the tips, greatly appreciated. Finally got all the parts so going to change them all this Friday, water pump, fan clutch, and fan hub bearing. They are all original parts from 2002 so I got my money's worth lol. Replaced the alternator and tension pulley several weeks ago for same reasons bearings going out.

If I think about perhaps i'll take some pictures of the fan hub replacment.

Again thanks

:thumb1:

Thanks for the tips, greatly appreciated. Finally got all the parts so going to change them all this Friday, water pump, fan clutch, and fan hub bearing. They are all original parts from 2002 so I got my money's worth lol. Replaced the alternator and tension pulley several weeks ago for same reasons bearings going out.

If I think about perhaps i'll take some pictures of the fan hub replacment.

Again thanks

:thumb1:

curious,  do you powerwash  your engine bay a lot?...  

curious,  do you powerwash  your engine bay a lot?...  

Nope on power wash the engine bay. I've never cleaned the engine bay since I've owned the truck. Seems to stay clean. Did get a bit dirty before I got rid of the breather bottle.

Nope on power wash the engine bay. I've never cleaned the engine bay since I've owned the truck. Seems to stay clean. Did get a bit dirty before I got rid of the breather bottle.

Gotcha,   I  was  just   curious about all the bearings  that went  bad    within a  short time.

The only way i know of testing a fan clutch is to block of the air going through the radiator with the engine up to temp. I have used a large piece of cardboard to cover the entire front of the radiator. If the fan clutch is working properly you will hear a change in the sound of the fan at 210 degrees. that is where the fan should go into lock mode with the reduced airflow and heat on the engine.

I tend to rinse down my engine about once a week or so keeping the road dust and dirt from collecting as goopy grease on the block from leaks. But I've only replace one alternator since new. Still have all my OE idler bearing and fan bearing. :shrug:

hmmm..   I  ususally  only  wash  my stuff  as  a  'pre fix' prep.     15 minutes  on the end of the  powerwasher  keeps  me  a tad  cleaner...

LOL,    some of my  older stuff  doesn't  have  much paint left!

isn't it amazing the  amount of   'asphalt'  we can  build  up  on these  engines?   (oil, clay and  sand)

• Owner

hmmm..   I  ususally  only  wash  my stuff  as  a  'pre fix' prep.     15 minutes  on the end of the  powerwasher  keeps  me  a tad  cleaner...

LOL,    some of my  older stuff  doesn't  have  much paint left!

isn't it amazing the  amount of   'asphalt'  we can  build  up  on these  engines?   (oil, clay and  sand)

No joke. That's why I stay after the washing of the truck because I hate to have to use a putty knife to find all the bolts like I do on customers rigs. Not to mention it does reduce failures of parts because of less contact with grit from dust and oil build-up.

Gotcha,   I  was  just   curious about all the bearings  that went  bad    within a  short time.

not to short they where all original stock parts  :thumb1: I did have to change the belt tensioner as well. Changed all this stuff over the weekend, and new thermostat, so good to go. Getting coolant flush at dealer friday, so i'm almost ready for summer 5th wheeling  :hyper:

I do live in near the gulf coast, so salt in the air tends to reduce life of everything here  :(

Edited by tonyjsan