• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I needed to replace the tires on my fiver so after researching tires (didn't want any "China Bombs") I decided to get Maxxis 8008 tires. The only problem is there are no dealers anywhere even remotely close. So, I let Google do the walking for me and found a place called Simple Tire that had the best price of $88.99 each plus shipping. I ordered four tires and once they got here I realized I screwed up and ordered the wrong tires. The tires I received had a capacity of 2150# and both axles weigh 8920#. I thought crap, this means I need to order the right ones and try to sell the wrong ones....mad.gif I was looking on Simple Tire's website for the right tires (cap 2540#) and they had a chat window. I thought, why not?, so I started a chat about exchanging them. Lo and behold they said No problem! All I needed to do was pay the shipping back and they will send the ones I want! They did all the work, sent me a receipt and prepaid shipping labels plus notified FedEx to pickup the tires. AND they were very pleasant about the whole thing! The tires I am getting are 225/75R15 for only $93.99 each. Shipping is a bit higher at $17 per tire. Most everywhere else wanted $150 or so per tire. Even with the shipping I think I did OK.

• Like 3

Good deal, anything under a hundred bucks a tire is a steel anymore no matter what type or size. I go through a minimum of 2-3 tires a year on my pontoon trailer, if I get near 3 seasons out of a tire I am jumping for joy, they are the short wide ones I think 10 or 12 inch can't remember right off and to get them in a 10 ply are about 100 bucks for these small ones even. :doh:

Maxxis is one of the few tires companies that I've seen that make a 10 ply in a 15" tire.

The tires on my trailer which are 16" wheels are now 6 years old and I'm having thoughts about changing them out to prevent any potential failures. Can't make up my mind if I want to stick with ST or switch over.

I have Duro tires on my trailer now and they have a date code of 0305 (third week of 2005). They did me great, no problems at all and they have been mounted since 2005. There are no cracks, no weather checking that I can see, and the tread is still great. The only reason I am changing them is because of the date of manufacture. Since I hope to be putting more miles on the trailer I don't want to be worrying about them.

Maxxis is one of the few tires companies that I've seen that make a 10 ply in a 15" tire.

I could have gotten those, but the rims are only rated for 65 PSI (I thought) but I dismounted one tire and the sticker says 75 psi, but it had a rubber valve stem on it. I have not seen a rubber valve stem rated that high. All I have ever seen were rated at 65 psi.

I could have gotten those, but the rims are only rated for 65 PSI (I thought) but I dismounted one tire and the sticker says 75 psi, but it had a rubber valve stem on it. I have not seen a rubber valve stem rated that high. All I have ever seen were rated at 65 psi.

So what about the rubber valve stems on our trucks? I do have steel stems on my trailer and have thought about putting them on my truck just because they are more durable but never gave the pressure rating any thought

• Staff

I currently have Goodyear Marathon in 225/75R15 LRD and they have been good to me. I have 6 of them and rotate the spares in each year, and this will be my 3rd season on them. I think it will also be the last, they are pretty worn down for only 7K miles.

I hear some refer to the Marathons as China Bombs, but in around 15-20K miles of towing (lots of rough roads) the only 2 flats I have had where on my old TT and they where rock punctures.

I do like the look of the Maxxis, and don't want to upgrade to 16" rims for LT tires, so I might give them a try.