• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

I've had lots of people doubt the mileage claims , until they take a trip and see the fill up and the figures 1st hand..... then they're kinda quiet.

Two forms of verification (ScanGauge II and hand written logs)

rrnif5.jpg

i4hg5e.jpg

Remember my ScanGauge II numbers are from Home to point A and back home. The fuel logs are from fuel station to fuel statino and might not be the same one. Also my odometer is off by 0.5 MPH so my ScanGauge II is more accurate over my hand math logs.

• Like 1

Your worry is unfounded , if Delo 5W30 or Delvac 5W30 can meet Cummins ISX M-11 Detroits DD-15 & Mack Volvo standards  why would it not be good in your engine ? All Sae oils are backward compatible , at least until the new PC-11 comes in to use.

Really??? My engine was designed at a time when the oils form the American Petroleum Institute were rated as a CH-3 now current oils are a rating of CI-4 and CJ-4 that were designed to be used in 2002 and newer engines using EGR systems. These newer oils are designed to be better and more robust in the newer and much tighter tolerance engines. Under these new designs they are still wanting diesel engines to run a formulated 15w-40 oil. Not a 5w-30 oil. As for me the "Factory Recommended" oil to be used in my truck was a CJ-3 not this new CJ & CI - 4 oil on the market. I don't have an EGR system nor do i like the CJ-4 and CI-4 specs for ultra low sulfur diesel engines.  As for me my worries I'll stick to the 15w-40 for know.

CH4 specs were released in 1998 to meet the new emmissions criteria. That being said, it's been discontinued for several years now. CI4 oil is becoming harder to find and will eventually be phased out as well.

Really??? My engine was designed at a time when the oils form the American Petroleum Institute were rated as a CH-3 now current oils are a rating of CI-4 and CJ-4 that were designed to be used in 2002 and newer engines using EGR systems. These newer oils are designed to be better and more robust in the newer and much tighter tolerance engines. Under these new designs they are still wanting diesel engines to run a formulated 15w-40 oil. Not a 5w-30 oil. As for me the "Factory Recommended" oil to be used in my truck was a CJ-3 not this new CJ & CI - 4 oil on the market. I don't have an EGR system nor do i like the CJ-4 and CI-4 specs for ultra low sulfur diesel engines.  As for me my worries I'll stick to the 15w-40 for know.

Unless your running AM$OIL or a dino CI4 oil, your likely running CJ4 oil. Viscosity has nothing to do with the specs, it is  about soot retention and ashless formulas to prevent the dpf in 07.5 and up trucks from plugging.

• Like 1

• Owner

Wow. Kind of hard to believe that just by changing motor oil weights it would make that much of a difference. I went from a 15w40 Dino to a 5w40 full synthetic and did not notice any difference.

Because there isn't any difference. 40 weight is 40 weight. The 5w and 15w are you cold weight characteristics. So you start-up characteristics changed a little bit but the full heated characteristics remained the same of 40 weight. You would have to change to 10w-30 or 5w-20 to see changes. It the second number you want to drop.

But once again there is no one around me that sells a CI-4 or CJ-4 oil in any other weight than 15w-40 period. All the 10w-30 and 5w-20 is all "S" rated oils which are not designed for our engines.

• Like 2

• Owner

There are several manufacturers that are making 5w40 and 10w30 diesel engine oil with the CJ4 specs. 10w30 is actually the recommended viscosity on some newer light duty diesel engines now days.

Please could you list these oil brand names down so I can see if I can get these oil locally?

5W40 is a very common viscosity and you should be able to get some form of it locally. I know my local NAPA carries Mobile 1, Valvoline Premium Blue, and Rotella T6. There are many others as well, including Amsoil and Schaeffers which I use in the wifes VW TDI, the ones I listed are very common and should be available at most any auto parts chain or tractor supply or farm and fleet store. These of course are synthetics (or at a minimum synthetic blend), I don't know of anybody that makes a 5w40 dino oil.

As for the 10w30, Mobil DELVAC 1300, Valvoline, Castro Hypuron, AM$SOIL, Schaeffers, just to name a few. There are many others out there.

The brands I see most 

Mystik

Citgo

Mobil & Chevron

Shell all in the 10w30

I just was in a farm store in W. Missouri the had a huge display of the New Delvac 1 LE 5W30. Price was not bad either 18.99 per Gal.

Have you tried ?

CONRAD & BISCHOFF, INC.

2251 North Holmes
Idaho Falls
ID 83401

800-869-6844

They are listed on Mobil's website as a stocking distributor for Delvac 1 products.

Edited by skellyman

• 1 month later...

Are you running a 30w engine oil?

I'm a little hesitant to run 30w oil on an older diesel engine. I know they are recommended in some newer engines, with tighter bearing tolerances and such.

Yes a 10W30 diesel engine oil , per the owners manual 99 2500 it is a acceptable oil.

I had a 95 v10 that I ran 10w30 when I bought it (2008 with 175k miles) and it used about 2 quarts every 1500 miles. I decided to try Rotella 15w40 and the consumption went down to about 2 quarts in 3000 miles and never increased before I sold it this year at 230k miles. It did not help the mileage and it did make crank slower when it was below freezing. As a old mechanic I was always told if a engine used to much oil to go to a heavier weight oil will help.