• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 6 speed manual

hello everyone, I've just pulled my pipeline rig out of storage. ( 01 3500 dually with 6 speed manual ) and noticed good sized puddle of gear lube under flywheel while it was running parked out side of discount tire. Do these things seal them self's back up after running for a while ? or should I start looking for a shop ?  Thnx Bill

I'd like  to tell you it'll seal back up,  but usually  a  non pressurized seal   won't.  Sometimes  they do!      

I'm pretty sure  the  input shaft is  just above the oil level,    even  with  added fluid (for  improved  lubrication inside the trans)

I have  a re located  fill plug in our 2000,  and  it's still just below the centerline of the trans

So,  unless your  trans  was REALLY overfilled,  or  truck was  parked  steeply downhill,    I  am thinking it's coming out of the  front bearing support plate/gasket..

check out what's still in the trans, and compare it to what's on the ground...   make sure it's the same stuff!

Are you the original owner?    Geez,  I've seen  people dump in  'seal conditioners'  to  save a  transmission...  ugg,  that  works, for awhile!  then  when the seals  are all  'poofed' out   wham!  flood city.

Edited by rancherman

thnx for the info. im wondering about the slave hydrasulic clutch assembly because the fluid is mostly clear.

very possible.    slaves   tend to  loose their seal if not exercised..  

'Lose it too"   sheesh..       LOL

Edited by rancherman

If its diesel fuel coming off the tranny or bell housing, check your return line tee and return banjo on the back of the head. They will both leak and run over the rear off the engine. The o rings in the tee will go bad over time just like the sealing washer on the back of the head. The tee is located to the rear of the stock fuel filter canister. You can follow the return line off of the VP to the tee. The line coming out of the top of the tee will lead you to the banjo fitting on the back off the head. You cant see that one with out a mirror.           

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

as it turns out, the #2 fuel line was loose after the head gasket job i had done back on thnx giving week. every time i have work done to my rig something goes wrong. had tires rotated the other day at discount tire and they scratched the hell out of the new ultra 024 front rims. god damb kid didnt even say anying noticed it when i got home. damb kids. thnx for all your input. your the best.

I am going to have to check out the return lines in the next couple of weeks too. Finally started to get a hard start if I park up hill over night. I think the drain valve on the fuel filter might be leaking as well. Might just do all the sealing washers/Orings all at once when I change that valve out. Not looking forward to this job...