• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

P pcu 1693 p ecu 1689

My truck a 2002 hd 2500 5 speed, threw the following codes today P PCU 1693, then P ECU 1689.Truck has been running great for 140000+ miles, I replaced the lift pump awhile back with flowmax from bd. It ran fine after the replacement no codes, and fixed the problem of the engine surging, when I first engage the clutch, had to fuel the engine up a little, even in first, but more present in 2nd. So i was thinking the stock lift pump was weak.I just added a Bully Dog Outlook with PE to the truck. After this I noticed the surging came back (when on a power level other than stock) especially when the engine cold, have to fuel engine up a little when engaging the clutch, or surges as I call it. When in stock mode, everything is ok.I realize this is not a forum for Bull dog support, being this is my first power enhancement gizmo, My questions are this:1) Is this normal after a power enhancment gizmo is installed ? I notice when the code(s) where thrown the bully dog power cycled, and yes the power connections are sold from what i can tell2) If the bully dog is messed up end of story, if not then any suggestions on diagnosing a P1689 code ?Thanks in advance,Tony

P1689 = No Communication Between ECM & Injection Pump Module P1693 = DTC Detected In ECM Or PCM I would try unplugging the Bully Dog Outlook PE and go back to stock configuration and observe if this resolves the problem. If this does resolve the problem, there may indeed be a problem with the Bully Dog. If not, this could indicate a problem with the VP-44 or the ECM. Check your plug connections again to ensure you have a definite solid connection. Also check for any possible bent pins. Fill out your truck profile so we can get a better idea of what you are running, mods, etc.

Another thing I should have pointed out is that the Bully Dog Flow-MaX was probably not the best choice of lift pump to install. If I understand this operation of this lift pump correctly, it will provide up to 165 gallons per hour at 10 psi. 10 psi is a ablsolute, ragged, botton dollar minimum pressure for the VP-44 to operate at according to the Dodge operator's manual. In reality this pressure is not enough, especially for an engine with any modifications. 15-20 psi is the real world proper operating pressure in my opinion. Do you have gauges installed? If so, what fuel pressure is this lift pump providing? Even with a pump that makes proper pressure and volume, trying to push fuel through the banjo fittings is an up hill battle. The OEM fuel lines and fittings are just too small and will cause fuel starvation under load.

I filled out the profile for the truck, I'm new to this forum, but believe I filled in the correct locations.On the lift pump my bad, bd is not bully dog, but BD-Diesel flow-max pump, my understating per manual it's rated at 15-18psi at 14vdc, flow is like 160+ gal.In terms of gauges, only what is displayed by the Bully Dog outllook pe, show boost and pyro.On the BD-Flowmax, setup the banjo fittings are replaced with I think 3/8 fuel hose, from pump to fuel / fliter bowl.Thanks,Tony

the stock filter canister still has bangos... an excerpt from http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/power_isb.htm " There are 4 banjo fittings that will need attention. The inlet on the lift pump, the outlet on the lift pump, the inlet on the filter head and the outlet on the filter head. The banjo fitting at the inlet on the injection pump is already 3/16.....The banjos on the line between the stock lift pump and the stock filter housing need help because, while the barb is 5/16 on the outside, the hole thru it is LESS than 3/16. A 3/16" or 9/32" drill bit chucked in a drill press will ream the holes to a more reasonable size." i just got rid of the bangos when i went to 1/2" fuel line:2cents:

I filled out the profile for the truck, I'm new to this forum, but believe I filled in the correct locations. Tony

Welcome to the forum Tony. When you fill out the information on your truck you should go to where it says "edit signature" in the user control panel. You filled out the information in the "edit profile" section which will only show up when someone goes to your profile. Just copy and paste your info to the signature section of the user control panel and it will show up at the end of every post you make.:thumb1: