• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need to identify cause of power steering/brake loss...

Hey guys, I started my truck up yesterday and suddenly had no power brakes or steering. It was running fine a couple days ago and showed no symptoms or strange noises. I haven't had a chance to really look under the hood much yet, but when I glanced around, I didn't see any noticeable leaks and there was no big puddle under the truck. Goulds vacuum pump kit was installed over the summer by my shop, so that should be go to go. My question is what exactly should I be looking for when I dig into this? If there are no leaks and the fluid is full, I am assuming there is a plug somewhere or the PS pump is shot... is there a surefire way to tell if the pump is any good? 

I have a new borgeson gear box waiting to be installed when my steering brace comes in, so I may just replace the pump anyways to be sure... but lets say I replace the pump, how can I identify any other problems or determine where the plug up is?

Finally got in there with a flashlight and the PS pump is soaked on the bottom... didn't even bother checking the fluid level. I took a closer look at the oil on the ground and it must of been a slow leak for a while. My shop did the Goulds vac kit install, so I would hope everything is correct with that... 

Now, for replacing the pump, will I have to undo any of the work they did on the vac pump or is that a seperate procedure? I think I will just go ahead and replace the pump with all the lines as well...probably upgrade to the Borgeson kit or something to go with the new gear box. I bought the truck with 200K and no idea what the previous owner did, so I am fixing and maintaining things myself as they come up.

Oh and just to clarify, it is just PS fluid leaking now, so what ever the shop did with the vac pump is still working. I'm hoping I don't have to pull that apart but from what I'm reading, it is easier to pull the PS and vac pump as a single unit.

Edited by 02cumminsdude

Well thats good to hear. I ordered a Borgeson Hi-flo pump and all new hoses last night. I probably went a little over board but I will feel better knowing for sure that it's all new in there and all I need to do is keep it maintained... one less thing on the list of questions about the history of the truck.

Quick question, I got the new PS pump yesterday, there are no new seals or o-rings of any sort. Is this because there is no seals for just pulling the PS pump off the vac pump? Or should I need any new seals? I've decided I will just pull the PS pump by itself and not the vac pump with it... I will just deal with lining up the shaft when I get to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just swapped everything out, new hoses, new box, new pump. Filled with Royal Purple synthetic fluid. I didn't buy enough fluid though. I had a question about the bleeding process... I jacked it up, filled it, got in and turned the wheels around a bit ENGINE OFF, then got my bro to come turn the truck on and pump the brakes and turn the wheel while I filled. After maybe 20 seconds of this, the fluid foamed up and started overflowing as I was filling. Turned it off, let it sit a little, then retried it and took a loop around my street. It drives nice, but the pump is whining when it gets close to full lock. And I THINK the foaming stopped as well, I will have to check next time I run it. Anywho, the fluid is still a little low so am I hoping this is the problem. But does anyone else have any ideas incase it keeps up? What else should I look for?

Edited by 02cumminsdude

Did some reading and I think I have air trapped in the system. Heres my current situation after adding more fluid:

-when parked, steering wheel will not turn full lock to lock, pump whines, fluid got very slightly frothy but that went away quickly

-when truck is running and warm, the fluid in reservoir just seems to be sitting there, not much movement

-drives nice except whines on full lock turns and when making short, quick, rapid steering wheel movements

I think I sucked in a bunch of air when attempting to bleed the system the first time... hence the foam and overflow. Should I jack it back up and just keep doing a bunch of lock to lock turns? And if so, should I leave the cap off?