• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bathroom Project

Well one small project (strip wallpaper and paint and replace window) turned into a big one (gutting the whole bathroom).  Trying to strip the old wallpaper was a nightmare, as I would've had to skim coat the walls with mud to repair the divots from the scraper.  The linoleum was stained from a small water leak from the shower stall and a mouse nest in the wall.  The shower stall was rust stained from my soft water etc., etc..post-7-0-24936300-1399035476_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-55416800-1399035594_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-21645200-1399035672_thumb.jpg

I gonna re-use the toilet and the sink.  So I have to put some new flooring down, rerock the walls, tape/mud them, replace the window, prime/paint, install new shower stall, etc., etc., etc..

A few pix.

Looks like a good project. It is funny how those things just keep opening more and more issues. Its never just one problem.

When I first read the thread title, the first thing I thought about was your avatar picture. Talk about bathroom project!!! :tongue::lmao:

• Staff

Looks like a good project. It is funny how those things just keep opening more and more issues. Its never just one problem.

When I first read the thread title, the first thing I thought about was your avatar picture. Talk about bathroom project!!! :tongue::lmao:

All he needs is one a them log plungers.

Seriously though, wallpaper remover solution works real good/ makes it easy for next time anyway.

First peel any vinyle covering that maybe on the wall paper then spray, wait 5 mins. and comes off so easily is fun to peal.

Time for backer board and tile. My wife and I are getting pretty good at it. Between 2 rentals and out home. We've got a log home, so the encapsulation of tile works good. No drywall in the entire house. Even interior walls are wood.

Last rental project. This is all tile @ $1.00 per square foot.

D80278F4-F1EF-4861-8D60-7F438D4D8B86.jpg

In process down to bare wood. Some water damage and new plywood. I elected to run the tile under the new shower pan on the floor.

D6A24CE1-69F1-49EE-9010-F9328B0D56F9.jpg

Edited by joecool911
  • Like 1

Remodels always open up a can of worms and sometimes its hard to stop trying to improve on the original plan.

It is funny, thru the years in my house I have done several projects with left overs form jobs. Burger King tile on the front porch, Longhorn Steakhouse slate inside the front door for a mud area. Redid my living room similar to the old look of a TGI Fridays. I have a nice stash of Chick-fil-a tile for the kitchen and bath. I think when I retire I'll just open a restaurant..

• Like 2

You do realize that the bathroom is the most expensive (by $ per sq. ft.), don't you? The kitchen is next. You just got yourself a bunch of work! LOL It looks to be not so bad of a job. One thing I would recommend it=s to get rid of that 90* elbow in the vanity trap arm. Cut it back and put a 45* in it and it will come out more square to the wall.

Dunno if you know about it or not, but I would highly recommend using mold-resistant drywall and cement board when redoing it.

Already planning on it. Thanks.

All he needs is one a them log plungers.

Seriously though, wallpaper remover solution works real good/ makes it easy for next time anyway.

First peel any vinyle covering that maybe on the wall paper then spray, wait 5 mins. and comes off so easily is fun to peal.

I let the wallpaper stripper (DIF gell type) sit for 15 minutes and then sprayed another coat on and let it sit before trying it. Still a nightmare.

Time for backer board and tile. My wife and I are getting pretty good at it. Between 2 rentals and out home. We've got a log home, so the encapsulation of tile works good. No drywall in the entire house. Even interior walls are wood.

Last rental project. This is all tile @ $1.00 per square foot.

D80278F4-F1EF-4861-8D60-7F438D4D8B86.jpg

In process down to bare wood. Some water damage and new plywood. I elected to run the tile under the new shower pan on the floor.

D6A24CE1-69F1-49EE-9010-F9328B0D56F9.jpg

Still in the planning stage. Tile is being considered.

You do realize that the bathroom is the most expensive (by $ per sq. ft.), don't you? The kitchen is next. You just got yourself a bunch of work! LOL It looks to be not so bad of a job. One thing I would recommend it=s to get rid of that 90* elbow in the vanity trap arm. Cut it back and put a 45* in it and it will come out more square to the wall.

That area was a corner sink area. It comes out square when it's screw back to the wall. I just took out the framing for it so that I could remove the old drywall behind it. 

Looks like as much fun as the RV remodel...

Hopefully it'll turn out "pretty"!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

What happens in my shower stays in my shower.  :evilgrin:     For wallpaper that won't come off problem, I've done it two ways. Either skim coat over the wallpaper with joint compound or cover over with 1/8" drywall.  The skim coat way is E-Z and cheap. I did it in a kitchen 15 years ago and it still looks great.

• 3 weeks later...