• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Best cummins?

What year and options would be considered the Holy Grail of Ram trucks? The one that most would want to buy given many choices.

I wish I could have found a 3,500 that is not a dually. I opted for a 2,500 2001.5 with automatic transmission. Hard to find a well cared for truck with manual transmission on the market. I am seeing some of these on craigslist for over $20k. So the $10k I soent for mine will allow for lots of mods before I spend $20k. A straight, well cared for and stock automatic is much easier to find.

well,  for   me,    it'd  have to be   the  96-97  12v   and  manual  transmission...  Just for the sake of   horsepower rating (stock)  and  the  simplistic  nature of the 12v.   Also the   big Dana  rear  with the manual.. (same as  the  3500)  

even though  our  2000 dually    with the  24 valve's  been  recently  a  little   spendy...  it  should  be   reliable  for  many more  miles.  (now that  I've learned  what to   watch for)  (Thanks  Mopar1973man.com)

I'm sure  the  new  stuff  is  much more fancy, faster, more powerful....   which  in  someone else's  eyes,  is  their  Holy Grail.. 

I'll   buy  theirs  in about  10-15 years!

• Like 1

that is why I had to bought a 2002 dodge ram 3500 cummins with NV5600 that I love manual transmission! I tried to find but mostly are excessive rusts, too much prices, and half millions miles on it... so I found mine near by my home that seller quit driving it for RV haulers.  he said I am first buyer to look at it while he got many buyers who want buy it now.. so I decided to bought it... I prefer four wheel not dually but  not matter to me.  it is much harder to find it as it is texas truck and I had not see any rusts at common spots around before I had bought it.  I kept it in my garage during winter time as avoid the rusts and stupid drivers on snow roads.

well,  for   me,    it'd  have to be   the  96-97  12v   and  manual  transmission...  Just for the sake of   horsepower rating (stock)  and  the  simplistic  nature of the 12v.   Also the   big Dana  rear  with the manual.. (same as  the  3500)  

even though  our  2000 dually    with the  24 valve's  been  recently  a  little   spendy...  it  should  be   reliable  for  many more  miles.  (now that  I've learned  what to   watch for)  (Thanks  Mopar1973man.com)

I'm sure  the  new  stuff  is  much more fancy, faster, more powerful....   which  in  someone else's  eyes,  is  their  Holy Grail.. 

I'll   buy  theirs  in about  10-15 years!

it is very rare to find a 12 valves and manual transmission around here in Indiana....

I am prefer 24V 5.9 not 6.7 since 5.9 are non-emissions while 6.7 are EPA and more costly to deleted it. 

98.5 was 24v

My choice is 03-04 6 speed, than 06 mega auto, 98 12 valve 5 speed. I need the bigger cabs to haul the kids

1998.5 was the cross over, couldn't get the quad cab until 1998.5 which is when the cross over from 12v to 24v was this is why the quad cab 12v is sought after as there were not that many made.

The quad cab was introduced for the entire 1998 model year and the 24 valve was introduced part way into the 1998 model year. My daughter has a '98QC 12v that was from the beginning of the model year. Generally speaking the 98 MY was 12V and the '98 1/2 was 24V. The Club Cab was also available very early in the same year.

• Like 1