• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

If the bearing was binding up from sliding on the tube the master cylinder would most likely explode. Don't ask how I know this one. :duh:

As for riding the pedal I don't think it will change much of the life span of the bearing but it would indeed change the life span of the clutch (slippage). The fact the bearing is constantly turning loaded or not as soon as the grease disappears the bearing will fail pressed or not.

Thinking a bit more about this grease disappearing... The only thing I could figure that would do that is excessive heat in the clutch housing making the grease sweat out of the bearing? :think:  (educated guess...) :shrug:

Not wanting to make a man re live bad experiences, but I would like to know how the binding would cause the master to explode. Only for the sake of education. I really dont want to do this again.

I would have to agree on riding the clutch. I am guilty of leaving my foot on the pedal when going up thru the gears and have occasionally slipped the clutch. This has been true thru the life of the truck. So my driving habits have not changed.

As far as the grease disappearing, I can see where excess heat could easily sweat it out. The only things that come to my mind are, engine heat which I doubt, transmission temp, not sure about that one, I have never touched the tranny and found it hot but I dont touch it that often. That just leaves the bearing itself. I am really thinking binding of the bearing being the biggest chance of a heat source. Maybe it bound cockeyed instead of evenly. :shrug:

I do know that the clutch engages smoother now that it is grease. I just feel it in the clutch, the pedal still reacts the same, though the pedal might be a little easier to depress.

• Owner
Not wanting to make a man re live bad experiences, but I would like to know how the binding would cause the master to explode. Only for the sake of education. I really dont want to do this again.

This was during my install of my Southbend clutch and the throw-out bearing gotten jammed up on the end of the shaft and hooked. So no matter how much I started to push the pedal it built pressure till BOOM! It exploded and blew the whole side wall off the master cylinder out. So I had to replace the master cylinder and then pull the transmission back get the throw-out bearing un-bound and sliding on the sleeve. Never had another issues after that.