• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ca smog and lift (tranfer) pump codes

Hey all, I have to smog my truck for the first time. I have a mechanical fuel pump as the stock pump died. I usually have the smarty take care of the error code but sine I have the stock tune loaded, the transfer pump code pops up and triggers the engine light. Is this gonna be an issue with smog? Im thinking of trying to put a dummy load on the pump plug of maybe 5ohms? Does this seem plausable or is there an easier way around this?

Thanks

I do not think you can have the truck smogged with a code, and you need to clear the code and get a certain number of miles on it to be acceptable one time it was about 50 miles not sure what it is now. maybe a light bulb in place of the pump may be acceptable.

I have heard you need some miles put on too. That's why I have been driving it in stock form and trying to get everything straightened out before I take it in. But man is it gutless without the Smarty. I have heard of people getting hassled for not having the breather puke bottle too, hope that's not the case as mine is long gone. I'll report if the resistor works. Thanks!

• Staff

Your Smarty may not  be legal in CA. I brought my truck in for smog test in December of 2011 and every thing was good. Last December I was told that my EDGE E-Z was not legal and I'd fail the test. Lucky for me I've known the owner for 20 years and I send him a lot of business.He passed me anyway. I went to the CA. ARB web sight and the EDGE E-Z was only certified for 1998-1999. I could not find the Smarty listed there so it may not be certified either. here is the web address.   http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/aftermktdevice.php  

I see that the Smarty leaves no "foot print" so you may not have to worry about it but be sure no smoke comes out of the tail pipe. The test includes revving up the engine and watching the tail pipe for smoke, any smoke at any RPM is a failure.

Edited by IBMobile

The test includes revving up the engine and watching the tail pipe for smoke, any smoke at any RPM is a failure.

I think for a diesel that this is a little ridiculous. Even when these things were brand new Ill bet they smoked at least a little bit when you revved them up quick.

Restoring the factory tune should work, regarding the Smarty. That's what the previous owner did and it passed no problem. I cant get it to smoke at right now. I had a tech look at it and he didn't like the bhaf, but said if I showed him I had the stock airbox it would be alright.

Passed no problem. Technically can't have a modified intake without a CARB certification. They weren't too concerned about it, besides it takes 2 min to swap the air box. The guy never even did the snap test. Go figure...