• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• 2 months later...

I just replaced the rear diff. sensor hoping it will clear my problem...the abs/brake light comes and goes and sometimes when I touch my brakes the ABS goes off and my rear wheels lock up. Would replacing the front 2 sensors and leaving the stock rear one cause this? They're all new now and I haven't taken for a test drive yet...hopefully the old gal will make the 4 hour trek to Indianapolis tomorrow.

Us old guys don't care for abs. Especially in washboard. Sometimes you just gotta have full brakes and skid. Remember pumping brakes to avoid skidding in slippery conditions? I was driving my wife's 06 and going downhill on washboard. Hit the brakes and they gave me nothing. Almost went off the road on a corner. Weird feeling. Hit the brakes and they don't respond even with heavy pedal. My friend removes the abs fuse when offroad.

ABS brakes are not designed to stop you quicker on any type of slippery surface. ABS systems are designed to allow you to be hard on hte brakes and allow you to steer around what ever is in your way. Is that the best way? Not in my book. I prefer to have some stopping power. My truck has RWAL and when it kicks in the stopping distance gets a lot longer. It is along the lines of having your car apply brakes without any input from the driver because they aren't paying attention (like the commercial about a woman backing out of a driveway with her two kids in the back seat and she almost backs out in front of a school bus. The reality of it is PAY ATTENTION!! not have your car participate in the dumbing down of society.

• Like 1

I replaced my rear diff. sensor with a BWD part from O'Reilly's...it was faulty from the getgo, lost my speedo and brake lights came back intermittently. Ordered an SKF brand from Rock Auto, supposedly it's an exact OE part...got my speedo back and no brake light! But, I'm still fighting ABS going off from time to time and my rear brakes locking up, it's scary. Any suggestions? Bad control module?

ABS brakes are not designed to stop you quicker on any type of slippery surface. ABS systems are designed to allow you to be hard on hte brakes and allow you to steer around what ever is in your way. Is that the best way? Not in my book. I prefer to have some stopping power. My truck has RWAL and when it kicks in the stopping distance gets a lot longer. It is along the lines of having your car apply brakes without any input from the driver because they aren't paying attention (like the commercial about a woman backing out of a driveway with her two kids in the back seat and she almost backs out in front of a school bus. The reality of it is PAY ATTENTION!! not have your car participate in the dumbing down of society.

No kidding!

Seen those  new car commercials  lately??    the ones  that  show    'smart'   decisions  made  by  collision  detectors?    I especially  like the one  where  the  guy  is  cruising  down a  road,       he comes  up behind a  slower vehicle  (while he was  looking  elsewhere)  and   the car  goes   'beep',  and  stops  for him.    This whole time  the driver  looked  at the  dash board  (which was  lit up like a Christmas tree)    BEFORE  he  looked   ahead!!!       

People are going to get  really too   reliant/lazy/comfortable/false  sense of  security   with  these things..   

I just replaced the rear diff. sensor hoping it will clear my problem...the abs/brake light comes and goes and sometimes when I touch my brakes the ABS goes off and my rear wheels lock up. Would replacing the front 2 sensors and leaving the stock rear one cause this? They're all new now and I haven't taken for a test drive yet...hopefully the old gal will make the 4 hour trek to Indianapolis tomorrow.

I've only heard  that  we need to replace  the  fronts  as  pairs,   not so much  with the  front AND rears..

I  thought if  your speedo  was working properly,  the  rear sensor  was  good.

• Like 1

Would a bad front wheel bearing make the ABS/Brake Light come and go intermittently? I just used a pry bar under both front wheels and looks like a bad lower ball joint on the passenger side and a good "thud" on the driver's side with no ball joint movement. I would assume wheel bearing, and that was the side that popped up on the snap-on scan tool as a bad sensor.

you said  your  rear brakes  'locked'  when you just  'touched' the  pedal??       I'm leaning  towards  something other than sensor!

ABS going off randomly! Driving down the road and I touch my brakes and the ABS goes off and then I have to stand on my brakes before going through a stop sign! I assume it's from my driver's side wheel bearing going bad.

• 3 weeks later...