• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

OMG! Truck suddenly lurches to right

I wondered if the repair to the spring seats had damaged/stressed something else which subsequently failed.  I'm also waiting to hear how bad my news is! 

......control arm brackets come to mind......  if  your  spring cups  rusted out,  (quite thick btw)  There may be  other issues  on the horizon..

I just talked to the shop.  The front problem is still pretty much as it was a year ago...  there is a problem with the Right side rear spring perch & U bolts...  basically shot.   Tom gets the Prize!     

I may need tires to get it inspected...  He didn't like the look of the tires...  we'll see. 

Edited by flagmanruss

Yes, it is a rust problem, like the front spring cups.  Rear axle is reportedly moving & not in a good way.  I'll be stopping by tomorrow for visitation.  Shop owner understands that I need this to be safe & dependable.  I just hope I have some nuts left when I get it back. 

Yes, it is a rust problem, like the front spring cups.  Rear axle is reportedly moving & not in a good way.  I'll be stopping by tomorrow for visitation.  Shop owner understands that I need this to be safe & dependable.  I just hope I have some nuts left when I get it back. 

Just to  clarify,  are you referring to the  6 cornered  threaded  fastener  'nut'?

I'm  glad you found it  before it  put you or a loved one  in the ditch, or worse!

Oh hey Russ,  I'll have a rust free  rolling frame  available around here  this summer...    it's  the  1998's   extended cab,  w/8 foot box.  (long frame)

I gotta clean up some of my junk.. and  you sure can help yourself   

I appreciate the offer...  kind of far & my frame itself seems good.  It's just the components hung on it...   I'm getting the worn tie rod ends replaced too...  before the alignment.  The TR adjuster sleeve is in pretty poor condition.  My plan is to be more aggressive about repairs & not waiting until they are "very bad".   

Registration, Taxes & Insurance  are high here...  but I pay it so I can have some recreation.  A cheap 1/2 ton will not tow a 30' camper (not legally or safely anyway).  So I have to get in or get out. 

I stopped by to drop off paint & undercoater for the new parts...  my truck was outside waiting for parts.  I stuck my head in the Right Rear wheel well, over the tire.  I expected the failed plate was on the bottom.  It was NOT, it was on the top, over the spring.  I suspect there was a stamped lip there...   which is now gone.  The top of the front U bolt has shifted forward a couple of inches!  Surprise!   

Yup, that's what the Shop told me.  I don't see how the axle could "come out" completely since it was still captive (U bolt over the spring) but I imagine under power the axle could walk forward & back.  sort of a vargue "alignment".   

OK, got some pictures during visitation today> 

Right, Passenger's side (Oh, crap!  What's holding the axle in?)

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2349.jpg

Sorry the underside picture didn't come out. :(

Left, Driver's side (What it's supposed to look like)

IMG_2351.jpg

Edited by flagmanruss
  • Like 1

My opinion has flip flopped again...  and I couldn't really see under the axle to access those parts (& my photo was pitch black & of no use).  Although the top is the part which has moved, I'm back to thinking the bottom plate "must have" failed because the top plate seems to be all there...  so the bottom failed, the nuts pulling up into the plate thereby loosening the U bolts allowing them to jump the groove. 

Yes, we are replacing plates & U bolts on both sides.  Yes, good old New England road salt.   Lucky I limped home without losing the rear axle.

Edited by flagmanruss

• Owner

That's the difference between high humidity and almost no humidity

Every winter here I see 90-95% humidity with tons of salt laid on the highway. It's the difference of washing the truck. I typically rinse my truck weekly to knock the mud off and rinse the salt off everything. If I'm lazy I'll place a sprinkler out under the truck and turn on the hose. This works really good on getting most of it off without getting wet in the cold of the winter.