• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Upgrades what'chya think?

Hi everyone, I have read alot of posts here and on CF trying to put together the "best" mods to my truck that I think fit my needs. Before I pull the trigger I want to run it by you and make sure I am headed in the right direction. My truck is a 2000 3500 Dually two wheel drive with an automatic tranny. It has 173,xxx miles on it. Previous owner put 65 horse injectors in it, plugged the wastegate, K&N air filter, 4 inch exhaust turbo back,and a new stock lift pump. I've read these trucks will go for 700,000 + and I'm going to have to try because I can't afford a newer model! Besides the occasional trip around town I put a 4K pound Lance 11'6" truck bed camper in the back and pull a tandem axle car trailer with my 69 Bronco rockcrawler on the back. I don't have a ton of coin to drop. I don't want to smoke the back wheels off the truck, hook up to a sled or smoke out three lanes of traffic when I blow by in the passing lane. (on occasion smoking out a ricer is nice I have to admit!) I essentially want a dependable, easy to maintain, Keep it simple, drive across country kinda rig. Here's what I plan: Install the fuel pressure gauge I bought Continue running the TCW 2 stroke oil (thanks moparman!)Install a Raptor 150 Vulcan big line kit to VP pumpRun Baldwin PF7977 fuel filter Put a boost elbow onGet my other gauges; pyro, tranny and boostPut some coolvue mirrors on so I can see what the heck is going on behind me Airbags in the rear BHAFAnd beef up the tranny, torque convertor, shift kit, whatever else needs to be done. Other than that I just want to be able to run it and fix the other "stuff" that we all know comes up. Like my leaky roof above the overhead monitor and the passenger window that sloooooooowly goes up. Thanks and looking forward to what you have to say.

Looks like you got the plan all put together pretty air tight other than the one thing that stands out to me is the Balwin fuel filter...............I would run fleetgaurd ,Hastings or wix or pretty much anything but baldwin, I have had many many filter courses over the years as a Diesel Tech and Baldwins are just a small step above fram in the filter world.:2cents:

don't play with the waste gate until you have a fooler of some kind...i put a "edge boost elbow" on my stock 99...works great at low rpms, with little power. then i was pulling a trailer uphill in 4th gear(i got a stick) and boom...no power! cars and semis were trying to pass my like i was pan handing!

• Owner

My truck is a 2000 3500 Dually two wheel drive with an automatic tranny. It has 173,xxx miles on it. Previous owner put 65 horse injectors in it, plugged the wastegate, K&N air filter, 4 inch exhaust turbo back,and a new stock lift pump. I've read these trucks will go for 700,000 + and I'm going to have to try because I can't afford a newer model!

With this previous history I would throw the K&N out... Then do a turbo inspection and check the air tubes for dust, dirt, and oil... As for lasting a long time I've got 2 member here one at 600K miles (92 Dodge) and another with nearly 800K miles (01 Dodge)

Besides the occasional trip around town I put a 4K pound Lance 11'6" truck bed camper in the back and pull a tandem axle car trailer with my 69 Bronco rockcrawler on the back.

I don't have a ton of coin to drop. I don't want to smoke the back wheels off the truck, hook up to a sled or smoke out three lanes of traffic when I blow by in the passing lane. (on occasion smoking out a ricer is nice I have to admit!) I essentially want a dependable, easy to maintain, Keep it simple, drive across country kinda rig.

Here's what I plan:

Install the fuel pressure gauge I bought

Continue running the TCW 2 stroke oil (thanks moparman!)

Install a Raptor 150

Vulcan big line kit to VP pump

Run Baldwin PF7977 fuel filter

Put a boost elbow on

Get my other gauges; pyro, tranny and boost

Put some coolvue mirrors on so I can see what the heck is going on behind me

Airbags in the rear

BHAF

And beef up the tranny, torque convertor, shift kit, whatever else needs to be done.

Other than that I just want to be able to run it and fix the other "stuff" that we all know comes up. Like my leaky roof above the overhead monitor and the passenger window that sloooooooowly goes up.

Thanks and looking forward to what you have to say.

Other than that it looks like you covering the bases properly. Take your time and do your research on your part and mods... :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Checked the tube from the air box and surprisingly it was clean. Ordering the BHAF now. On the tranny, when the time comes, I decided to go with Goerand. Customer service was top notch and answered my questions without trying to sell me a brand new transmission.

Good choice.............I have heard of way too many horror stories about ATS and their lack of post sale customer service since they have grown to a large company.