• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trying to decide on what tires to buy...

• Staff

Go to Tirerack.com or some other review site and see what their customer survey has to say. I'm sure some of the fine folks on this web site have had experience with one or the other brand of this type of tire. I do know that I won't be buying the Wrangler All-Terran because I don't need the aggressive tire pattern in So-Cal.    

I have TransForce HT's and I like them much better than the Dayton timberlines I had before.  Real quiet and wearing quite well with all the towing and the occasional burnout.  The con would be snow and mud are a no-go.  But I am on pavement 99.9% of the time.  Can be a little squirrely in the rain if I am in hurry and am getting on it.  I am hoping to get 45k out of them.  I have around 30k now.  Overall I will be buying another set when these are done.

• Like 2

• Owner

Like myself I'm usually buying some sort of off brand like this batch is HiFly (China made) for about $650 bucks. So far really good A/T tire works well in all conditions including snow and mud. Taking the occasional spinning free in 2nd and 3rd gears with slightly heavy throttle.

• Like 1

• Owner

I rarely get much more than 30-35k from a set of tires from all the dirt roads I travel. Wear gets worse as I climb mountain dirt roads with trailers in tow. If only Idaho would pave all there forestry roads I would be getting well pass 50k a tire then. Hence why I don't get wrapped up with name brands. I would rather buy the absolute cheapest tire and lightest tire I possible can. Because even the most expensive Cooper STT I bought at $1,400 years ago managed the same distance and degraded my MPG number (which cost me more when you look at operational cost). So Just looking at the Cooper STT's I could of bought two sets of HiFly's and covered 60-70k miles for $100 less.

Also just found out my local Big O Tires is no longer. They switched names to Tire Factory of Ontario, Oregon and still going to provide me the same deals as I always had for the last 24 years. :thumb1:

• Like 2

I've had really good results using Cooper Discoverer ATR's and now Cooper Discoverer AT3's in replacement tires on my '04.5.  And prior to that using Cooper Discoverer AT's on my '99.

I've gotten over 70k miles on all my Cooper tires I've had on both my Dodge/Cummins trucks.  Just saying, not arguing.

• Like 1

• Staff

I had a set of 4 Cooper A/T's on the truck. The tread just pealed off at 70 mph and beat the right rear fender in.  Cooper paid me $1000 for the damage. Then another one on the right front started to come apart. I could feel it in the steering and took the tire off before any damage was done. That's when I put the Wranglers on. 

Well, Yabba has 2 Firestone TransForce on the front and  Hankook on the back. The TransForce seem to be wearing pretty well, better then the Hankook's. I would order some online however the places around here charge an arm and a leg for mount and balance and on top of that they charge for the valve stem's and balance weights :doh:  So, I may as well go for what they have in stock.. I might be leaning towards the Firestone TransForce unless I can find some place that can do the Khumo road ventures for less... I have those on Scooby and they have been on there for 3 years and still look brand new!!

I came across a set of Nitto Terragrapplers mounted on 17" Fuel wheels for 1200 bucks a couple years ago. Ran em on my 1500 till I replaced it with the 3500. The guy that bought it didn't want the Nittos so I kept em and put em on the 3500. I have about 18000 on em total right now. If I ever wear em out I would like to get another set. I like em a lot. Oh. My boss ran em on his 3500 mega and he was getting about 70-75 thousand off a set.

Made in the USA.

The truck had a set of fire stones on it when I got it. As we were going home when we got it I slung up a rock that hit my wife's windshield and broke it. I don't like firestones much.

Edited by Diesel

I am checking out your choices...  I don't know if I'm going to get by inspection this time.  Not much worried in summer...  would like new skins going into the winter.  I'm on road for all practical purposes...  I'm thinking an All Season AT type.   The Michelins wore good until mechanical trouble finished them off.  My choice would be a similar but slightly more open tread.  See if I can afford E rated tires. 

If you want tread I do Love my Kumho Road Venture AT's that I have on Scooby!! I went with the Firestone TransForce HT on Yabba because I really don't take him off road like I do Scooby... I have had the Kumho's on Scooby for three years  and they still look brand new even though I drive a lot + 2 trips to VA and back along with all the mileage and off roading I do when I am there!!!

I actually really enjoy my Hankook A/T's. Nice tread, hardly ever needed four wheel drive in the miserable ND winter. My cousin manages the tire shop that I got them from and he said they have seen trucks come back in with well over 75k on them and still resell them as good used tires to cheap customers. Even though I have 35's, they are completely silent and track great. I just make sure to rotate them every 5k and keep them up to pressure. Great tires as far as I am concerned.

Very good Ilikeoldfords.. The Hankooks on the back (came with the truck when I bought it) wore faster than the Firestone TransForce  in the front.So, I went with the TransForce... They looked the same as when I bought the truck 10,000 miles ago. the Back were almost bald :rolleyes:  and they all looked the same when I bought the truck in October. I still kinda wished I went with the Kumho's...