• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tips for shift kit install!

On Mine when I wasn't pulling anything w the switch on below 40MPH while feathering the throttle it wants to shitf into 4th.. Was this with the shift selector in 2nd? I want to hold in 2nd locked when pulling heavy load on steep grade then unlock and move selector to a higher gear. Can I do this? Afraid to modify the trans and experiment. I have a triple disc torque converter and a stock input shaft. I can't chance any hard shifts during a hard pull.

With the lock up switch the transmission will automatically go into lock up in OD if you leave the shift selector in "D" regardless of which gear the transmission is currently in. If you accelerate from a dead stop with the selector in "D" and throw the switch the TC will lock and hit 4th instantly.  You have to manually select the gear you wish to be locked in, allow the transmission to reach that gear, and then throw the lock up switch.  So for 2nd gear you will have to manually shift to 2nd and once the truck downshifts (or upshifts from first) then and only then do you flip the switch. For lock up in 3rd you simply lock out OD with the button on the shifter, allow the trans to shift into 3rd, then flip the switch. You never want to throw the lock up switch until the transmission is in the gear you want to be locked up in or the TC will lock up and dump the trans into the gear you have selected. You also must disengage the lock up switch BEFORE allowing the transmission to shift into the next gear. Shifting gears while in lockup, especially under heavy acceleration/load is bad ju ju.

• Like 2

I have years of experience in heavy equipment but never worked on automatics and kept seeing different posts that kept me wondering what this mod would do. Thank You, your explanation is as clear as it can get.