• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Baby got new shoes....

Seems alignment / tire shops get the wheel straight about 50% of the time, I find it faster to just do it myself when I get home if they don't get it, only takes me about 2 minutes to straighten it versus the lost time waiting at the shop.

Explain please.

Explain please.

Pretty straight forward. They either get the steering wheel straight when the alignment is done or they don't get it quite right the first time.

The collar on the drag link has a single bolt that clamps it tight loosen it up and turn the threaded collar in one direction or the other to center the steering wheel and retighten the clamp bolt. Eazy peazy, just need to fiqure out which way to turn the collar, never need to go more than 1/2 turn to recenter the steering wheel if its 1/4 turn or less off center.

If the tire shop does it after it is not right and I take it and leave to find it off then go back and tell them then 1/2 hour goes buy they test drive to confirm then another 1/2 hour to get in in and reaqdjust and then retest drive to make sure and then maybe readjust. Me just going home and making the adjustment takes about 10 minutes at most if I have to make a couple attempts.

• Like 3

• Owner

I didn't know to explain it. first off my truck has never seen a alignment ever. But when I would change parts like track bar and ball joints it moved a bit off center so I do just as W&F said twist the drag link a bit (1/4 turns) and test again. Straight as arrow now.

• Like 1

Pretty straight forward. They either get the steering wheel straight when the alignment is done or they don't get it quite right the first time.

The collar on the drag link has a single bolt that clamps it tight loosen it up and turn the threaded collar in one direction or the other to center the steering wheel and retighten the clamp bolt. Eazy peazy, just need to fiqure out which way to turn the collar, never need to go more than 1/2 turn to recenter the steering wheel if its 1/4 turn or less off center.

If the tire shop does it after it is not right and I take it and leave to find it off then go back and tell them then 1/2 hour goes buy they test drive to confirm then another 1/2 hour to get in in and reaqdjust and then retest drive to make sure and then maybe readjust. Me just going home and making the adjustment takes about 10 minutes at most if I have to make a couple attempts.

simpler than  pulling the  steering wheel and  re clocking it!

Edited by rancherman

Be glad you don't have the same steering set up as I do. In order to change the steering wheel position I need to tighten one tie rod and lengthen the other. It is still esay to do, but more of a pain.

Be glad you don't have the same steering set up as I do. In order to change the steering wheel position I need to tighten one tie rod and lengthen the other. It is still esay to do, but more of a pain.

Yep the 2wd,s are a bit different, one instant where a 4wd is simpler.

I didn't know to explain it. first off my truck has never seen a alignment ever. But when I would change parts like track bar and ball joints it moved a bit off center so I do just as W&F said twist the drag link a bit (1/4 turns) and test again. Straight as arrow now.

Just think of the fuel mileage increase if you did have your truck aligned!!!! :duh:  :cool:  :hyper:

Isn't the    4 link  control arms   set  via   eccentric bolts.    which sets the squareness-to-the-frame..     it's more of  a   one time deal at the factory,   but certainly  can change  with wear/butt load of miles,

and  of  course  the   various  - or +   degree'd  ball joints  for   setting   castor/camber..  ( I still don't  know  why  they are offered!...  ia  there  an inherent problem from the factory? )

Probably  neither one of these  would affect  fuel economy much,   as long as   the  fronts   aren't plowing down the road,  Like mike said.    only    handling and  tire wear...

How many  Fords  have we witnessed  'dogtracking'  down the road  in the  past  30 years?    It's   not cool  when  a person can see the  hubcaps    on one side of  the  vehicle  directly   in front of them!

Edited by rancherman

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got the truck aligned properly yesterday :hyper:  :hyper:  The steering wheel is pretty darn straight too :hyper:  :thumb1:   I went to a different Tuffy Auto up in Land O Lakes, and when he put it on the Alignment Rack and looked at the screen .... All that came out was a "OH BOY :doh: " and a sigh...  I said to the guy he made a lot of work for you didn't he?? He lowered his head and said YES :duh:   Anyway, Yabba is now walking a straight line and the steering wheel is straight :thumb1:post-1978-0-45811300-1403365444_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Just got around to doing this adjustment today after rotating my tires and greasing up the front end.  It is really easy.  Took longer to test my adjustments driving around the block after each of three tries.  Thanks again!!!! :thumb1:

• Like 1