• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

EGT While Towing?

Just wanting to get some ideas on how hot to run the truck towing up hill. I pull about 8K and when I start climbing the EGT goes up past 1100 and I get worried. So I find that if I back off the throttle just ever so slightly I don’t lose that much speed, but I can keep the EGT from climbing above that. If it starts to go higher, I grab a gear and try to keep it at 1100, and always below 1200 or below.

My buddy with his new Dodge just puts the throttle to the floor, rolls a bunch of coal, and blasts over the hill. He gives me a bunch of crap for being so slow, which I am really not. I tow at 2100 RPM’s which is about 73 MPH, and hardly ever drop below 60 going up a long climb. After all, trailer tires are only rated for about 65 MPH.

Am I being too conservative? I want my truck to last a long time and am trying to not abuse it. Any input from you guys that tow a lot?

• Like 1

Nope, you are doing good. You can go up to about 1250* and hold that without much problem, but over that and you risk melting pistons. I am like you, 1100* is high enough, although I had a boost leak and have seen 1400* but only for a few seconds.

• Like 1

• Owner

Absolutely... MnTom is right. I do the same thing as well ST tires are rated for 65 MPH and hold my max speed to no more than 60 MPH. But climbing grades I typically back off of 5th gear drop to 4th (1:1 Ratio) and blast up most 6-7% grade well below 1,200*F and still running 53-57 MPH putting me right at about 2,100 to 2,300 RPM.

• Like 1

What amazes me is how little I have to back off the throttle in 5th to lower the EGT while not losing much MPH… If you leave the cruze on the throttle will go to the floor and the EGT’s will climb like crazy. If it does start to lug a bit, I always grab a gear. Funny, since I put my gauges in last year I tow more by the EGT than I do by the speedo.

So is my racing partner going to smoke his new Dodge if he keeps towing like he does. He doesn’t have gauges and thinks I am nuts. His trailer is almost 3K heavier than mine. 

• Owner

Even in stock form way back when I barely installed my gauges (no fueling mods) I towed a flatbed trailer to Boise, ID to pick up a Chevy truck that was just painted. Coming back over the grade I was rudely woke up watching the pyrometer climbing well above 1,400*F even in stock form. Just because the truck can pull it at any speed doesn't mean its safe to do it.

• Like 1

Funny, since I put my gauges in last year I tow more by the EGT than I do by the speedo.

Funny how that works, eh? That is the proper way to tow. Don't worry about speed, just the pyrometer. What difference does it make if you can top a hill at 70 MPH if you burn a piston?

• Like 2

• Staff

If his truck is new and stock then he is fine.

2nd gen's and properly tuned 3rd gens, stock is NOT proper, should keep it to 1250° continuous and 1300° momentary. A stock 2nd Gen VP truck should have a hard time hitting 1250°, Michael's is a rare exception from what I have found, almost like it had a boost leak or bad air filter that was fixed with routine maintenance since I don't think he ever mentioned any issues.

I pull any decent grade at 53-60 in 5th, 2000-2350, and even up to 20K GCW I have yet to hit 1200°, but I do break 1100° on grades at or above 6%. I will on occasion pull a grade at 65, which is just above 2500 with the same results but normally I slow to save a little fuel.

• Like 2

I pull a 5600# travel trailer, with rv275 boost elbow and fooler and can reach 1250 easy. most time I play it cool and stay 1150 or less. Once east bound from larime I lost a boost boot clamp and 1500 for about 8 sec. before getting out of it, that scared me good. since truck running good 2 1/2 year later, must have caught it in time.

I pull a 5600# travel trailer, with rv275 boost elbow and fooler and can reach 1250 easy. most time I play it cool and stay 1150 or less. Once east bound from larime I lost a boost boot clamp and 1500 for about 8 sec. before getting out of it, that scared me good. since truck running good 2 1/2 year later, must have caught it in time.

That sounds like what happened to me yesterday. Surprising how fast the EGTs climb when a boot blows off! I don't know what mine went to for EGTs, but the pyrometer was pegged and it goes to 1450*!!

• Owner

RPM is your friend... Don't be afraid to use it when the duty requires it.  

Absolutely... 2k will put you close to optimal torque curve for climbing. This doesn't mean leave it in OD and keep accelerating to 2K of RPM's. You might have to drop down a gear to direct 1:1 ratio (3rd in Auto, 4th in NV4500 or 5th in NV5600) and get the RPM's up and let the Cummins work a milder speed and pulling at optimal torque.

• Like 1