• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Driving down the road and the Tach drops to zero, truck bucks like no fuel then maybe does it again then runs fine and always starts on first hit. Fp idle 22, wot 18, oil pressure cold 95+ warm 180* 75* . Worries me that possibly leave me stranded somewhere. Any Ideas? 1998.5 Dodge / Cummins, 4x4, 5 speed, 202k miles, stock from factory except for Donaldson Filters and Fass DDRP lift pump and new inner cooler hoses, Batteries and Alt. two years old.

Edited by kerley

I do not know how to enter information about me or my truck, directions would be appreciated.

1998.5 Dodge Regular Cab Cummins, 4x4, 5 on the floor. All factory except for Heat Shield and BHAF {Donaldson #1005006} and Fass ddrp.

• Staff

What about year 2002? Is there a one above the starter?

Thanks.

Kerley,

Click on your name and then go to profile. I think when you scroll down it asks for your sig or truck you have.

Edited by JAG1

What is required to install a new crankshaft sensor? I read where there is a wheel built into the crankshaft with notches in it that feed the crankshaft sensor. Do you just remove the crankshaft sensor and replace the new sensor or is there a calibration procedure? I have never done this and I need some advice, please. 

• Owner
  1. Disconnect the batteries.
  2. Remove the starter.
  3. Unplug the crank sensor.
  4. Remove the one bolt holding the sensor.
  5. Remove sensor.
  6. Clean and lube the sensor hole.
  7. Install new sensor.
  8. Install starter.
  9. Hook up batteries.
  10. Relearn your APPS sensor.

Still I would check error codes first before doing all this to find out the sensor is not the cause.

Thank you all.

Mike, since I will have to remove the starter would it be smart to install a new starter kit while it is out. The starter works fine but has 202K on it. I'm just thinking extra labor later.

Crankshaft Sensor,  I do not like to buy parts at the dealership because they are way to expensive, I expect to pay a fair price for my needed parts but I don't want to buy their dealership. I also hate shopping in town.

Where is the best place to but quality parts online?  

I agree with Mike on checking for codes.  You may want to review this diagnostic section and with the added input of any codes look at the diagnostic procedure that best matches your situation.  It might save you some money on parts you may not need and help you go directly to the problem. 

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44diagnostichelp.html

I have pieced together a "booney kit" over the years of all the important sensors that can leave you on the side of the road. They're easy enough to carry around, generally all you need is a basic few tools to change any one sensor out.. I spent the extra money and bought all OEM sensors...everything except my APPS is original so I look at it like this I would rather spend the extra few bucks and get something that will get me several years of service compared to some chinese junk that realistically will probably last a fraction of the time the OEM sensor lasted. Buying OEM doesn't guarantee it will last as long as the original but your odds are definitely better. I helped a friend change a crank sensor out on his Dodge a year or so ago and he bought one from Autozone, I can tell you it wasn't near the same quality as the Cummins sensor in my tool box. I compared them side by side and even offered it to him under the terms he replace it but he didnt want to spend the extra coin...hopefully it holds out for him but i have my doubts...

• Like 1

I replaced my Crankshaft Sensor with one bought from Cummins. I priced them on the net and they were available at a range of prices, some more than Cummins. When I visually compared the old Sensor with the OEM there was a very big difference. Apparently the previous owner had replaced the OEM with the aftermarket Sensor. It appeared to be built so shoddy that I am amazed it did not come apart during removal.

Alot of times they do come apart and it's a real bear to extract the rest. I've had to drill a small pilot hole and carefully thread in a small self tapper screw and take a pry bar under the head of the screw to pop it out. Not very fun and pretty stressful considering where the broken pieces can potentially end up going.

• Like 1