• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is there a better Oil Filter Wrench?

JAG1

• Staff

On my 2nd gen it's harder to slide on a typical filter wrench because of some hoses and things up near the bottom of the filter.

Is there an open strap type filter wrench? Where once you get the strap around the filter, you simply clip the strap end to the handle? Sort of like a toolbox latch/clip or something?

I know there are some on the market but would like to hear of the best ones out there.

Tired of several times trying to squeeze mine back together and drop the bolt back in. It's not easy.

Thank you all in advance

I use this filter wrench set, it has pins that hold the bands to the handle so you can throw the band around the filter and then attach it to the handle if you need to. I did notice that the price seems to have doubled since I bought the set though, or maybe I got it on sale... :shrug:

• Staff

I see your ideas but, my problem is that there is no way to easily slide anything up from the bottom with the items in the way underneath the filter.

The metal strap is a problem trying to squeeze it back together to connect it. That is after I've stretched a lot of the factory curve out of the metal strap while feeding it around the filter from the side. To squeeze it back together with both hands and then drop the bolt or pin back in is a pain. Need a third hand.

Need something like a clasp that will grab it when stretched out and then shorten it's grasp around the filter when clipped. Don't know why I'm the only one that's complained about this. :think:

I use this at work.  It works great.  I need to get one for my garage once.

http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-209-9-Inch-Filter-Plier/dp/B0009WG5SU

Edit: Not sure what size is needed right off hand.  For the filters on our trucks you may want the next size up.

http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-212-Capacity-Filters-Strainers/dp/B0002SR53K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EY603CJ1Q94DNP122EP

Edited by ABennin

• Staff

Abennin I think you gave me the idea for the right tool. Thank you ever so much. It should work well since I've learned the filters don't need to go so tight as before. Usually a bit more than hand tight works well.

For my dad's 2009 I bought a K&N filter. It has a 1" nut on the bottom that you can put a wrench or in my case a socket w/ extensions and get it from the bottom. Seems like a pretty decent filter that costs about the same as the other quality filters and no filter wrench is needed, FYI

• Like 1

• Owner

:shrug:

I've not seen a oil filter wrench in a very long time. The only time I go digging to find mine is when some nimrod has crank the filter on way tighter than its required. I just wrap my big ol' monkey paw around that filter and twist it off. 180* to 270* turn from seated is all you need to tighten the filter.

• Like 1

• Staff

Lol!

Mike, Don't know if I can make it this season. I got a dozer pushing a pile of bills up my driveway since my wife just got out of the hospital. It was the first time we ever experienced this age thing catching up with us. She is okay and is getting better.

Lol!

It was the first time we ever experienced this age thing catching up with us.

Trust me, getting older sucks. Your mind says "You can do it!" and your body says "Wanna bet??".

• Like 1

• Owner

Lol!

Mike, Don't know if I can make it this season. I got a dozer pushing a pile of bills up my driveway since my wife just got out of the hospital. It was the first time we ever experienced this age thing catching up with us. She is okay and is getting better.

Don't sweat it. Do what you can we'll catch up later...

Trust me, getting older sucks. Your mind says "You can do it!" and your body says "Wanna bet??".

I know. But as you get older you learn to work smarter not harder. I thought the wisdom is suppose to kick in?