• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

do you trust your michanic?

so after having my truck servised 3 weeks ago, getting ready for a week long vaca to Colorado, i got new brakes and rotated tires. everyting else check out good.

yesterday i was driving next to a rather quiet car and head a grinding noise, i'm thinking wow Mr. you need to get your car looked at,

then today, driving next to a guard rail. i hear this grinding noise,

i'm headed for home. i take my rear tires off looking for the noise maker and find.

after removinfg the brakes and doing further inspection i get

needless to say, i'll never trust another soul to work on my truck. i usually do 98% of the work myself, i was booked up and had no time, so i paid someone else to do it for me. never again, not unless i'm unable to turn wrenches and or i am able to watch their every move.

food for thought.

have a most exelent weekend!!!

• Owner

I'm sorry but I lost my faith in dealers and shops long ago. The only shop my truck with see is a tire shop and alignment rack. Beyond that I do my own work on the truck. But that was totally just a botched job there and someone really didn't care. Glad you found the problem and took care of it properly.

• Like 1

I trust mine and thats why I went to college was to try to change the perception of people who work on vehicles. Always remember there is a difference between a mechanic and a technician.

Now on your situation, I dont know how he got the slide pin bolts in. Whenever i do any, everything has to be perfectly aligned for the bolts to start

Last time anyone worked on my brakes was 1978. Was healing from an operation and had the wife run the car to the dealers. When it was done, pulled out of their drive and turned right. Going to stop at the intersection and no brakes. Used the emergency brakes to stop. Had them get the car since it was about 25 feet from their shop. Found when they put the front caliper driver side on, they twisted the hoes.

No one has touched my brakes since. Would rather rent a car until I can fix mine. Never had a problem since.

You can make it go as fast as you want, but I demand it to stop when I need it to ... (and as with the famous last words of obama) ... PERIOD !

I am glad you caught that in time. 

Thank you for the info,

I check the threads and the bolts are good not bent or cross threaded. Took sliders apart re greased them. New pads, didn't bother turning the rotors.

Took those and more pics to the shop. Tried to explain I did want anyone to loose their job, just maybe more supervision or training. Needless to say the poor kid was fired. I felt bad, I know I had the rest of the brakes working so I don't think my saftey was at risk, but still. Some pride in workmanship.

At that, it doesn't look like those brake pads are only a month old to me. I informed the shop manager that I would make sure to tell 10 people to never do business there. He refunded me the money and paied for the new pads I put on. Was a good deed on his part. He also offered to change my dif fluid and t-case for half price. It's tempting. But again... I just don't know..

Thanks agin yall.

Last time anyone worked on my brakes was 1978. Was healing from an operation and had the wife run the car to the dealers. When it was done, pulled out of their drive and turned right. Going to stop at the intersection and no brakes. Used the emergency brakes to stop. Had them get the car since it was about 25 feet from their shop. Found when they put the front caliper driver side on, they twisted the hoes.

No one has touched my brakes since. Would rather rent a car until I can fix mine. Never had a problem since.

You can make it go as fast as you want, but I demand it to stop when I need it to ... (and as with the famous last words of obama) ... PERIOD !

I am glad you caught that in time. 

Better watch it!   you may be pissin in someone's  cheerios  here!  :nono:  (Obama)

I trust my mechanic or I would not go there...  and if they f*ck it up OR screw me over...  all they'll see is my taillights as I move on.

One shop...  screwed up my installed radar system's rear sensor when they fixed my heater core...  undoubtably yanked the wires.  Same shop kept charging me for a front brake job & missed the warped rear disc.  BYE!

A different shop did head gaskets on wife's Subaru (known for this)...  when the job failed they claimed a cracked head & wanted me to pay to tear it down.  Wife gave the car to her sister whose finance' runs an auto machine shop in Stetson,  Maine.  Trailered the car up there & had his guys tear it down.  Head was warped & not planed which we'd been charged for.  BYE!   

I did my own front brakes on the Cirrus, last time.  pretty easy job.    

• Like 1