• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel economy jump

Ok...

From what I've been playing with I've found there is a roughly 2 MPG gain with two cycle oil vs. without two cycle oil (128:1 ratio). Running colder IAT's on a 24V tend to start losing roughly 1 MPG for every -10*F from 100 IAT temperature. I typically see better MPG numbers in the hot afternoon temps at 100-105*F than in the morning at 50-55*F. Yes. I've got the best of both world cold morning starts and baking heat afternoons. Another odd one that I found about two cycle oil, without two cycle oil in the fuel it will smoke more than with two cycle oil where it barely even smokes.

Just tidbits from my daily drive back and forth to work and odd jobs...

I think this is a good time to satisfy my 'wondering' about 2 cycle oil. what does it do? replace fuel conditioner? work on common rails?

THANK-YOU!

• Owner

2 Cycle Oil replaces the lubricity lost in the ULSD. It also tends to reduce cetane down and increase BTU content. Increasing cetane make the MPG numbers lower this is the big reason why winter time MPG fall is because BTU content is gone.

Dark green summer and light green is winter

cetane-btu3.jpg

Bosch requirements for lubricity. Remember US Diesel is ~520 HFRR score.

bosch-testing.jpg

• Like 1

I'm sure that running 2cycle oil extended the life of my IP, when I first bought my truck in 08 I had the dreaded death code that would pop up. I had 168K on her, but I followed the recommendations here, Air Dog Raptor 100, FP gauge, kept my fuel pressure above 15psi. The truck now has 207K, so following the advice here has kept my VP44 alive. She starts as soon as I touch the key, wants to run. If it ain't broke don't fix it. A pound of maintenance is better than a pound of cure! :hyper:

Use the Lube or smoke a Dube, :thumb1:

Dave

• Like 1

Been a "2 stroker" since '05-'06 (When was that thread started Michael??)  in my '04.5 with 225,000 miles on her now.  I run 1/2oz. per 1 gallon of diesel..............though I usually just dump 16oz. in the tank when I fuel up because my fill ups average 31-32 gallons.

• Like 1

• Owner

Well... Now like I said 2 cycle oil replaces the lost lubricity.

As for theory the pour point of 2 cycle oil typically is lower than pour point of diesel fuel so there is some aid given but how much is unknown. That is based on how low the existing fuel is pour point which most don't know. Then the amount of 2 cycle oil required for reduction is unknown. Like most winterized diesel is right around -20*F across the nation. Most snowmobile 2 cycle oil is rated at -40*F to -50*F pour point.

As for me I have done the research locally and know what my fuel station are selling and quality of fuel. Even with -20*F to -25*F winters I've never added any thing but 2 cycle oil. I don't use any other winter conditioner. Cetane booster rob the BTU value and most winterized diesel like shown above have plenty of cetane so adding more is not going to help. As for pour point or gelling issues I check on my local suppliers and found some keep pour point depressants on hand for sudden changes in weather. How else did I get the picture? I did my homework.

2poqhz8.jpg

Some stations post there pour point numbers.

1zba3ck.jpg

So if the pour point and cetane is already above specs then no winterized treatment is required just need to deal with the lubricity problem.

• Like 2

Hey Mike;  I've read/skimmed about 60 pages of that old thread now.  What I've noticed about it now is that when certain pages are referenced by posters, they don't match with the page I'm reading or the page the poster references.  Did our old friendly Moderator buddy over there;  BBSpam/BSRam, delete all his posts from that thread????  Remember he was the moderator that was always trying to derail that thread???  Or are the pages organized different now???  Just asking here.

• Owner

Unknown... That is one of the reason I created the article database to capture information and keep it from diappearing into the black hole of a MySQL server or haveing other selectively deleting what they don't like. Man that was back in the days of battling "Mind set" people that were ignorant of what was going on also I was stumbling and learning to from the mistakes of others digging for information.

But seeing that thread bring back memories.

www.frontiernet.net/~mopar1973man/2_cycle_oil.htm <- The first Mopar1973Man Web Page Address.

• 5 weeks later...