• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Life with the new 6 Speed Manual

Of course they said you don't need a temp gauge in a manual tranny, they want to sell parts and service and by you knowing when to back down they lose out on both!  If they truly believe that then I would find a shop with someone who is a bit smarter than these guys. :cookoo:

Dave,   did you  do the  raised  fill  level with a  street L..    If not,  you could  always    just use the   fill port hole  as  your  temp sensor  location.      (unless the  sensor is  larger than the  hole!!!)   you might  be able to just  get away  with  a  reducing bushing  screwed into the  case.  (quick for now,  but   a little more  screwing around  @   fluid  fill time)

Sure,  the sensor  would only be in the  top part of the  oil,  but  when going down the road.....  I'd  bet  the oil is   gonna   be   pretty much  everywhere!

I have  the   re drilled  fill   (about  2-3 inches higher)  than  stock location...  and    I'll use  the   old  hole for my  sensor.

JUST MAKE SURE YOUR  SENSOR  DOESN'T WANT TO BE  A  NEW  PARKING PAWL!!!    At least  a  temporary one!  :cry:  :lmao:

I don't know how long  your  'stinger' is,  just make sure it  doesn't  want to  engage  a  gear!    (Where  I suggest,   the  gears run pretty close to the case)   I might need to rethink  this  after  I crawl under  there!

• Like 1

Screwed mine right in the pto cover. Down low. If you want, I can take a pic and show you where I put it.

Having put miles on an auto, having it take a dump, and doing conversion, would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

6 speeds are awesome for towing. I was always worried about abusing the auto, not any more. :thumb1:

Screwed mine right in the pto cover. Down low. If you want, I can take a pic and show you where I put it.

Having put miles on an auto, having it take a dump, and doing conversion, would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

6 speeds are awesome for towing. I was always worried about abusing the auto, not any more. :thumb1:

Sure a pic would be great. I agree, 6 speeds are awesome for towing. I was always concerned about the gear hunt.

Apparently the auto problems in these trucks are taking these trucks out. I've been noticing them on Craigslist being parted out because of electrical issues associated w the auto trans. Most of them are rusted out trucks so doing a 6-speed swap would be a money pit thing.

Dave

I've been considering this swap, although I'm thinking about the NV4500. Is there a need to swap out any computer components? I know that the auto Trans has electronic control. Do you have any issues with codes thrown by lack of electronic connection to the ECM/PCM? Not sure which would be effected.

The 5 speed would be just fine. For me not really sure I need all 6. I pretty much shift 2,4,6, when i'm taking it easy and not working the truck w a trailer.

I did not make any changes w the ECM or PCM, I even have the auto steering column for the time being. I did not throw a check engine light or anything. So far so good!

Dave. 

The 5 speed would be just fine. For me not really sure I need all 6. I pretty much shift 2,4,6, when I'm taking it easy and not working the truck w a trailer.

I did not make any changes w the ECM or PCM, I even have the auto steering column for the time being. I did not throw a check engine light or anything. So far so good!

Dave.

Lots of people will most likely jump for synthetic lubes.

Me personally I tend to hop for the petroleum GL-5 80w-90 (light duty) 85w-140 (heavy duty). When people clear 1 million miles without axle failures that run truck for hotshotting I would say it a good selection.

Ok , here is one place I will disagree , for the average person a syn-oil is the best choice , Why ? because the average person will NEVER check or add Diff oils to their vehicle.

That being said either oil will work. I personally have run both with no difference in performance overall.

• Like 1

Years ago a guy I know had just about the identical F-150 that I did. He had synthetic through out. We were parked side by side and he was there a couple of hours before me. My truck had petroleum oils through out. Both were 4 WD and the temperature was about -10 degrees. We both walked out together and hopped into our trucks a few hours later. I pushed in the clutch and my truck did not move. He pushed his clutch in and his truck rolled. Which lube do you think was better in cold weather?

• Like 2

• Owner

With MnTom's weather conditions I would say a synthetic might be a better choice.

Myself I run petroleum all year round and see no real loss in performance or winter impacts with temps down to -20*F or so.

We both walked out together and hopped into our trucks a few hours later. I pushed in the clutch and my truck did not move. He pushed his clutch in and his truck rolled. Which lube do you think was better in cold weather?

There is many factors to that. I've seen winters when my truck tires had froze to the ground. I've seen where my brakes have froze to the rotors. So in my mind it not valid...

true,   dino  doesn't flow very well at  sub zero temps.

but  in their  environments.... rear axles..... I'd  say  'so what'.    It's not like  the  lube  is  stuck to the side of the case...   and  not  between  the  teeth..

#2 grease is  pretty  'stiff' too..   but  it does  it's job pretty dang good.

The  axle or trans  is   stone cold for such a  short time anyway,   if there was   any  worry,  it's over  in just a few miles.

All  the   60's  and  70's  pickups  I've driven  to death....  trans  and  axles  were  the  last thing to go. (if they DID go)   Me?   I'd say   the   good thing about   synthetic is  the  probable  increase  in    fuel economy,  and  just  a tad more  power to the wheels. 

of course,  these 'new' trans  are  running much hotter these days... and  thermal cookdown  gets  the  'syn advantage'..

Since our  axle ratios are either  3.54 or  4.1,      these  axles  are running  not  quite as hot  as  some   previous  years   higher  numerically  ratios..  such as  4.30,  4.56, 4.88..  those  were real  'coffee makers'.

so  for  'lube'  qualities,      I mean  actual  LUBE,    also read   'ability to keep  two surfaces  separated by a  film'      I really  don't think it matters.   *when both oils are new*

Mntom found out that yes,   thick oil  takes  more power to  move a gear through.. 

Edited by rancherman

The 5 speed would be just fine. For me not really sure I need all 6. I pretty much shift 2,4,6, when I'm taking it easy and not working the truck w a trailer.

Dave.

You shift from 2nd to 4th, then to overdrive? Never seen anyone do that before?

If I'm driving lazily down my 2 lane country road I'll do that, but if I'm getting on a heavy traveled road, I'll use all the gears even if I'm not towing. I grew up during the 1st energy crisis back in the 70's, they used to say the fastest way to High gear was your best mileage. (2,4,6, method)

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I'm lovin it! Just wanted to give an update on my 1st thousand miles w the 6-speed swap. Been moving lots of hay & just got back from another vintage camper rally,(Glamping is what the call it, the Wife had it pretty loaded up) 250 mile round trip on mostly 2 lane hilly roads. Right at the 50MPH speed that would give my old 47RE fits. Either dead pedal or 4th gear hunt. Amazingly, no issues. I was pulling a 1968 16' Comanche trailer, single axle.

6 Speed Mcqueen