• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brutus is down :(

How much were you towing again when this happened? Sorry if this is a repeat question I don't recall. From what I have seen of these engines you would really have to have been doggin' it to trash the bearings, but anything is possible. I have always erred on the side of rpm's and dropped to 3rd (I have an auto) to get the horsepower up and egt's down. The engine seems alot happier at 2300+ rpm than down around 1600 or 1700 with a load.

What about the chunks you found in the oil filter? Those aren't from the mains are they? Are you going to have the machine shop check the alignment of the main journals while they have it?

ummm,  yah.   Man o Man..      You most  definitely need  to  have your rods  reconditioned.        From  what  I can see,  no  spinning of  bearing  took place,  but   those  dudes  took  a  pounding.  you were    'THIS CLOSE'   ><     TO   a  spun bearing!

My  shop  charges  about   40 bucks a rod  to cut and  hone  the  big end.  

Was  #6  cooling jet  plugged with crap?

How much were you towing again when this happened? Sorry if this is a repeat question I don't recall. From what I have seen of these engines you would really have to have been doggin' it to trash the bearings, but anything is possible. I have always erred on the side of rpm's and dropped to 3rd (I have an auto) to get the horsepower up and egt's down. The engine seems alot happier at 2300+ rpm than down around 1600 or 1700 with a load.

What about the chunks you found in the oil filter? Those aren't from the mains are they? Are you going to have the machine shop check the alignment of the main journals while they have it?

no sweat man, it was a uhaul 6'x12" dual axle trailer packed very very tight front to back side to side top to bottom. a family of 4 stuff. i was pulling up a long steep grade in cruise control and it was lugging the engine and over temped the pistons. it was my fault.the damage is enough to rebuild, they will check everything out at the shop.

ummm, yah. Man o Man.. You most definitely need to have your rods reconditioned. From what I can see, no spinning of bearing took place, but those dudes took a pounding. you were 'THIS CLOSE' >< TO a spun bearing!

My shop charges about 40 bucks a rod to cut and hone the big end.

Was #6 cooling jet plugged with crap?

number 6 and i think 4 was

and yeah i caught it just before it grenaded itself. i should have been using the right foot instead of the cruise... and downshifted

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR

couple  questions here

Best of your  knowledge,   have you ever  had  antifreeze in your oil?

Were all  the  bearings   std.   Cummins?    If  not,  someone else  been in there...

upon  disassembly,   did you notice  any other  signs  of this engine  being apart before?    Usually,   RTV  in   odd places   is  a  giveaway...   wrench marks,  etc

Has this  truck  been  subjected to  extremely steep  operating  conditions..   ever been upside down?  (don't laugh)   I'm   sitting in one  right now!    ....  has  engine been  'killed/stalled'  before  you had a chance to  'clutch it'

Best of your  knowledge,   have you ever  had  antifreeze in your oil? NO

Were all  the  bearings   std.   Cummins?    If  not,  someone else  been in there...  YES

upon  disassembly,   did you notice  any other  signs  of this engine  being apart before?    Usually,   RTV  in   odd places   is  a  giveaway...   wrench marks,  etc  IT WAS A VIRGIN ENGINE

Has this  truck  been  subjected to  extremely steep  operating  conditions..   ever been upside down?  (don't laugh)   I'm   sitting in one  right now!    ....  has  engine been  'killed/stalled'  before  you had a chance to  'clutch it'  YES ON STEEP, WHEELING IN THE MOUNTAINS UP AND DOWN, YES MAYBE ONCE WHILE I OWNED IT ON STALLING.

caps not yelling lol

lol nah, i realized what i did and it was my fault. not paying attention and allowed the motor to lug in 6th going uphill with a load. first the bearings started making metal which plugged #6 cooler jet combined with high egt led to #6 piston almost melting.

lesson learned...   dont lug the engine, keep rpm's high egts low and lower speed while towing up grades

so after more parts cleaning i got to the oil cooler.

here is when it got weird.

i found wedged at the bottom of the input hole of the oil cooler a chunk of metal. pried it out and inspected.

it looks like a cast piece of aluminum that let go from something and i think it was in the oil filter feed side to where it got blown into the cooler...

i have no clue what it is or how it got in there

post-684-0-98110600-1411775806_thumb.jpg

post-684-0-33545700-1411775837_thumb.jpg

first...  see if it will stick to a magnet.  

I wonder where the other half  still is?    It may have  already gone out  with   previous oil change...  (did you save  the oil you drained out?)   time to  ' go fishin'

Appears  to   be  about   the  same  diameter as   a main bolt?

in any case,  it would've had to  made it past  the  pickup screen..      I'd  check your    pump internals,  and   the  pressure regulator  for  damage,  and for the  other  half of that  washer!   It may still be  under  a bolt head somewhere    ( or  galled into   something  you really  don't want to replace)..

Edited by rancherman