• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I Ain't Happy

Wow Tom, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Dean called me back the day after you left asking what ever happened to you. I should have made more of an effort to put you guys together but you seemed pretty hesistant to talk to him when you didn't try to call him for a few days so I never pushed the issue...

I almost don't want to even tell you this but you are the third person I know that has had work done by Blood that Dean had to "fix".

Not trying to pour salt in an open wound, just sayin. Good luck.

Have owned 5 Dodge pickups since 1995 and about 450K combined miles all on auto trannies and I have yet to have an issue........................................Before I switched to mopar I never got a GM tranny to last more than 30-50K miles manual or auto.

Having worked at a tranny shop I can say that there are just as many manual tranny failures as auto. Just a personal preference..................and if anyone sees my thread on towing things you know what my trannies see quite regular. :evilgrin: 

Can the autos be a bit more glitchy,  yeah but are manuals any better or stronger overall........no.

From my experience it comes down to common sense and knowledge of knowing how to and what not to. :2cents:  :tongue: 

I am going through the manual trans woes right now...5th gear grenaded on the wife's TDI the other day. I'm really hoping the damage was contained to that gear only but I'm not real confident . Will get the end cover off in the next few days to check it out but I'm afraid I'm going to be looking for another transmission. Needless to say I am not real impressed as this car only has 130k freeway miles. My grandfathers "junk" auto TDI of the same vintage ran 315k trouble free miles before he traded it in.

• Like 1

Wow Tom, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Dean called me back the day after you left asking what ever happened to you. I should have made more of an effort to put you guys together but you seemed pretty hesistant to talk to him when you didn't try to call him for a few days so I never pushed the issue...

I almost don't want to even tell you this but you are the third person I know that has had work done by Blood that Dean had to "fix".

Not trying to pour salt in an open wound, just sayin. Good luck.

I tried to get ahold of Dean, but his voice mail was full and couldn't leave a message and by time he callled me back I was running short of time and Blood already had the truck.

No it is the manual 5 speed trans. The 5th gear is aaccessible without dropping the trans, I'm going to pop the end cover off on my next day off (god knows when) and have a look. If the damage is contained to the selector gear or the 5th gear I will probably be ok. If the shaft or shaft splines are roached I'm pulling the trans and either going for a full rebuild or looking for another. The other 4 gears are perfectly fine. The wife drove nearly 100 miles home in mixed highway/city traffic after 5th let loose so I may get lucky, although it never goes that way for me so I am expecting the worst until I know different.

No it is the manual 5 speed trans. The 5th gear is aaccessible without dropping the trans, I'm going to pop the end cover off on my next day off (god knows when) and have a look. If the damage is contained to the selector gear or the 5th gear I will probably be ok. If the shaft or shaft splines are roached I'm pulling the trans and either going for a full rebuild or looking for another. The other 4 gears are perfectly fine. The wife drove nearly 100 miles home in mixed highway/city traffic after 5th let loose so I may get lucky, although it never goes that way for me so I am expecting the worst until I know different.

Well, JR, welcome to my world.........

I decided to show you guys some pictures of the 'quality' of the repairs..... Since when is black silicone used on the inside of a bell housing? Also, would you put  transmission mount in that looks like the one I took out? I bought a new mount for $27.post-18-0-87728700-1407866539_thumb.jpgpost-18-0-89496600-1407866558_thumb.jpgpost-18-0-74184000-1407866579_thumb.jpg

Ouch. Did he ever tell you the mount was in need of replacement?

Not one word.... In fact he said everything looks good.

I think I may need to look into Ohio's warranty laws........

What is the big gob of silicone all about?

I would go after him Tom, no excuse for shoddy half *** work like that. I can tell you I will be putting the word out from now on if anyone ever asks about the quality of Mikes work. I've never recommended him to anyone because I've always had my guy but this makes the third hack job I've come across (first one a friend, second a co worker, and third being you).

Three strikes your out buddy.

This it from an E-Mail that I recieved from Goerends

Hi Tom,  sometimes folks put silicone over the pipe plug that holds the front band apply arm pin in as a precautionary step.
That is all they said about the silicone. The e-mail goes on to say that most likey the pump bushing walked out and allowed the seal to leak, but I pulled the pump cover off and looked at things and nothing jumped out as to a cause. I should have an answer tomorrow when I take it to someone to get fixed.

Well, the results are in.....  I need one new pump bushing, one reman pump, new front clutches and steels, and have the converter sent back to Goerends so they can repair or replace the hub. All to the tune of about $1200 AGAIN. :mad:  After a phone call to the "rebuilder" it got heated enough to get to the point I said " I will be in touch" and hung up. A bit later he called me and we decided to split the cost of this repair. Now I need to wait for the final bill. The first two pictures are of the the bushing, and the other two are of the front steels... Has anyone ever seen a "rebuilder" GRIND on the steels "to give them better friction"?

Looks to be another week before I get a transmission home.

post-18-0-13377300-1407959341_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-45601600-1407959357_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-59302800-1407959373_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-06373700-1407959395_thumb.jpg

10 miles west of Lake Superior to be exact.......

I always thought MountainTom...you know what happens when you assume.

Well, the results are in.....  I need one new pump bushing, one reman pump, new front clutches and steels, and have the converter sent back to Goerends so they can repair or replace the hub. All to the tune of about $1200 AGAIN. :mad:  After a phone call to the "rebuilder" it got heated enough to get to the point I said " I will be in touch" and hung up. A bit later he called me and we decided to split the cost of this repair. Now I need to wait for the final bill. The first two pictures are of the the bushing, and the other two are of the front steels... Has anyone ever seen a "rebuilder" GRIND on the steels "to give them better friction"?

Looks to be another week before I get a transmission home.

Fun is. I hate to say it, but might as well look at rest of the tranny and make sure she's good. My budget friendly repairs cost me a lot in labor, luckily my labor hours are free.

The tranny is all in pieces (I was standing there watching it come apart) including the O/D section. There wasn't any metal in it so I am good there. If it had not been for the converter having a slight score in the hub that you could catch a fingernail on I could have had it back tonight.

ummmm, no.  I haven't ever seen  a   ruffed up  steel..  ON PURPOSE.      Sheesh.

Splitting the  bill  still isn't  right..  cause he  still made money  on you..  just not as  much!      but  I am afraid  it's better than  nothing...    take the lumps  and  move on.    you could  spend    more on pursuing a  settlement,  more than   what  you could gain... 

Just be  glad  it  didn't   puke  a  bunch of   crap into your expensive converter!     

Ugh! :duh:

I would have threatened him with the attorney general or told him he will get major bad publicity from it. Don't let the guy live it down.

Don't worry, I've got the PR end of things handled over here. I saved the pictures Tom put up and plan on showing anybody who asks for any recommendations on trans work, as well as Dean when I see him next. I'd be interested to hear what he has to say about the whole ordeal because he does know Mike on a somewhat professional level. Edited by diesel4life
  • Like 1