• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bypass Filter Intall on a 3rd Gen

AH64ID

• Staff

I looked thru all the bypass threads and found some nice places to mount it, but either the EaBP-110 was too long, I don't have a aftermarket intake, or I have the OEM Jake. So I went with where my dad mounted his, on the pass frame rail. Looking at my dads it was great, but he only had a skid across the bottom, and I really wanted the leading edge covered, so I made a cardboard example last weekend and took it to the local machine shop, 4 days and $40 later I had a skid. I wanted 3/16 alum, but they were out so he used 1/4"... talk about beefy.

As far as the bypass kit itself I did the pricing on getting the BMK-11, or just the mount and getting the fittings and hoses locally... I saved about $30 getting it all locally, so all I ordered from amsoil was the mount and the oil cap adapter. So on friday I stopped by the parker store and got 10' of hose for measuring. I then held the skidplate to the frame and drilled and tapped the holes for the skid.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then bolted it up, loosely, and figured out where to put the filter mount. Once I had that marked I removed the skid and drilled the first hole. I then printed the BMK-11 instructions with a 1:1 scale of the mounting holes, cut the center hole out and bolted it to the hole I had drilled and tapped. I then center punched the second hole, drilled and tapped it. Cut the next hole from the template out and center punched the 3rd hole, drilled and tapped... I mocked it all up and made sure everything fit, which it did (after a little filing, my center punch must have walked a little.).. Time to mock the hoses up, so I ran the hose from the mount to the engine oil filter housing (where there is a 1/8 port on top.. makes it REALLY easy), and marked the hose. I moved the hose to the oil filter cap and did the same, then uninstalled everything.... Now I wait for Monday...

Fast Fwd to this morning, I get up and go to the parker store, get some fittings, do some pre-coffee math (it actually worked) and told him what lengths to cut the hose, and crimp the ends... And back to the house... I bolted the mount to the frame, put the fitting in the oil cap, screwed that in place, and put the fitting in the oil filter housing. I used 1/8" NPT to -4 female JIC everywhere. I then ran the hoses (where I found that math can be done pre-coffee) and tightened them all down. I then zip tied the hoses clear of the exhaust and suspension, added 1.5 qts of oil and fired it up. The filter was dry, because of the horizontal attitude I couldn't pre fill it. It took about 20 seconds with the engine idling to fill the filter, and oil came out the cap... I let it run for another minute, and shut it off. While I waited for the oil to drain I checked for leaks and bolted the skid plate up, no leaks and it all fit great... I checked the oil, added another .5 qt (Now about 13-14 qts in the system) and went for a test drive to get oil pressure up. No leaks, and my engine will be much happier....

Posted Image

I added a "T" here so I can put a oil psi sender in down the road, thanks to the OEM idiot gauge.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just the right amount of clearance

Posted Image

Nice fabrication and install!!! Very nice in fact!!! However, doesn't it get messy when you change the bypass filter with it being mounted horizontally???!!!!:popcorn::popcorn: I can see oil just pouring out of that bad boy when change out time comes!!!:cool: