• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Motor Oil's cuss and discuss

skellyman

One quart every 2500 miles comes out to 32 quarts over 80k miles. That is equivalent to 2.6 oil changes over 80k miles, or an oil change every 30,760 miles (roughly).

Still pretty good, but no where near what was claimed originally.

And your point is...........................................??

My point is there was a comment made that you ran 80+k miles off a single oil change, when in actuality there was an equivelent of a couple of oil changes worth of make up oil added over the course of those miles. Not taking anything away from what you did, those were still some impressive numbers and you proved that dino oil is capable of going much farther than manufacturers would like us to think.

• Like 1

One person I need to get on this thread is Dorkweed that ran 84,000 miles on a single oil change with cheap ol' Walmart oil.

Cheap ole Wal-mart ?? 

The base oil used by them is sourced from one of 3 companies in the U.S. making base oils XOM , COP , or CVX .

Often I hear suprise at the performance of Super-Tech oil ,both car and diesel.

Both of the blenders Wal-Mart uses are good companies (Warren & Citgo) at least I far as I know.

Or.... gasp .... is it possible they are using base oil source from S.Korea a GRP III+ ?

Just be happy at  the performance for a true low cost oil.

• Like 1

^^^^^sounds like we have a volunteer!^^^^^

I think you would be pushing it going so many miles with no bypass filter and so little makeup oil. Dorkweed had two things working in his favor, extra filtration and makeup oil every 2500 miles to replenish the additives.

• Like 2

My point is there was a comment made that you ran 80+k miles off a single oil change, when in actuality there was an equivelent of a couple of oil changes worth of make up oil added over the course of those miles. Not taking anything away from what you did, those were still some impressive numbers and you proved that dino oil is capable of going much farther than manufacturers would like us to think.

2.6 oil changes vs. 26.6x oil changes on a 3000 mile change out interval.

2.6 oil changes vs. 16 oil changes on a 5000 mile change out interval.

2.6 oil changes vs. 10.6x changes on a 7500 mile change out interval.

What I'm doing now is a yearly oil change with 1 TP and 1 qt make up oil about half way.  Putting on about 20-25,000 miles/year now.  I am using Valvoline Premium Blue now..............but my stash is gone and I may go back to the WallyWorld SuperTech.  Gotta see what the price comparison is between the two.

• Like 2

I'll bet the  guy in the ad  had  a lit  camel  in his mouth,  another one  behind his ear??

As  for me,  I'm  a   Conoco  fleet  15w40  guy.   I  run it in  EVERYTHING..    cars,  pickups, tractors,  4 wheelers,  motorcycle..

..... I don't own anything  such as my daughters'  Dodge intrepid,  with the  2.7 ....    tiny  little  galleries  are   synthetic only.

Conoco Fleet 15W40 ? 

Really suprised , I would have thought you'd like the Hydro-Clear PowerD 15W40 .

Shouldn't Frantz know of the manufactures you could buy from ?

Or are they tight lip on that. I thought I saw where you could buy replacements from them if needed.

I thought of using them, but this seemed like an issue since companies are changing size, quantities and such.

Plus, don't you have to buy a certain type, the non soft rolls or something like that ?

• Like 1

I started a thread a while back entitled  "Is My Arse Getting Bigger, or the TP Getting Smaller".  

The TP is getting smaller in width and thickness.  Standard used to be 4.5" wide...........which is the tube width.  Now most are down to 4.0-4.1" in width.  I don't know that it matter so much as long as you get a tight fit.  The tube is also getting a bit larger in inside diameter.  To compensate for that, I use empty tubes on the inside of fresh TP roll to fill the space up.

Saw on the TV a few days ago, that one manufacturer of TP is advertising TP with no tube at all!!!

• Like 1

Frantz has been around for years , I have known people who swear by them, known a few that swore at them.

The ones that liked them either used the Frantz replacement ot used Scott as a refill.

The one clear thing is bypass filters work, all oil filters are better now than when they were 1st invented.

From personal use I think the Fleetguard LF 9028 is a great filter , testing now is ongoing (by me ) to see the better filtering (Fleetguard Stratapore vs Fleetguard Dual filter)

I am now out to 35,000 miles (filters changed at 5,000 mile interval with a UOA at that time, oil still has not reached condemnation limit.

With all due respect to everyone here;  IMNTBHO, it really doesn't matter what engine oil you use...........................just make sure you change it on a regular basis or do "oil analysis" to extend it.  Amsoil.................SuperTech...............doesn't matter.

• Like 1

With all due respect to everyone here;  IMNTBHO, it really doesn't matter what engine oil you use...........................just make sure you change it on a regular basis or do "oil analysis" to extend it.  Amsoil.................SuperTech...............doesn't matter.

For the simple fact that............how many "quick-lube" shops are there out there????   All of which "promote" a certain brand of oil.  Not the best oil...........per opinion.................but the oil sponsored by the establishment.

Has anyone here ever heard of an "engine' failure due to "brand of oil used"?????

• Like 1

i think as long as it's rated for diesel engines one would be ok. unless doing the extended drains. dirty oil is bad.

Ive heard of people getting oil designed for older (1930-50's) in the modern engines and ruining them. like not enough zink for the cam followers. oil designed for regular gas engines not unleaded.

Edited by Killer223