• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Motor Oil's cuss and discuss

skellyman

Except for my Jeep CRD, EVERYTHING I own is getting 15-40 Conoco Fleet. Main reason for me is the inventory headache.. and almost importantly is the amount of zinc.. All my old junk is flat tappet. And the last time I did the research, couple years ago, that Conoco had the highest amount. I suppose I should do another check.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

In regards to running 15w-40 in everything. I've don that too at one point but found out the efficiencies of the other engines that require a different weight tend to degrade in MPG's. I was doing the same and using 15w-40 in the 966 Dodge. But now like this winter put the recommended 5w-30 in and the MPG rose gain from the summer grade of 10w-30 and rose even more that originally using 15w-40.

• Like 1

Except for my Jeep CRD, EVERYTHING I own is getting 15-40 Conoco Fleet. Main reason for me is the inventory headache.. and almost importantly is the amount of zinc.. All my old junk is flat tappet. And the last time I did the research, couple years ago, that Conoco had the highest amount. I suppose I should do another check.

According to their website their 15w40 Fleet Supreme EC contains 0.121% Zn. This is pretty much the norm with all CJ4 spec'd oils. Not a whole lot of info on their site but pretty good levels of TBN. Zinc was widely used for 2 reasons, it was very good at what it did and was also very cost effective. Lube engineers have been forced to find other additives less intrusive to DPFs,and judging on the fact that virtually all pre emission engines are running the CJ4 spec and you don't hear of any oil related failures in the hundreds of millions of miles collectively run every year, I think its safe to say they have found a pretty good formula. Albeit it is more expensive, but definitely not the end of the world as some make it out to be.

http://www.shoppsc.com/pdf/COP%20Fleet%20Supreme%20EC%20PDS.pdf

The people that are uncomfortable with CJ4 oils are really going to be freaked out over the proposed PC11 spec coming up.

• Like 1