• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Under warranty

Killer223

Agreed, yes, defective parts must go back for the dealer to get credit.  My thought to get the parts would be in a non-covered situation, giving you a chance to argue the exclusion & if not, to exhamine for your own & our education as to the cause. 

What would have annoyed me the most was the original flat statement that "No, that's not covered!"  without seeing the truck.  A lot of folks might have taken them at their word & taken it to their own mechanic & had it done at their own expense. 

I don't believe the dealer did not know about the recall...  and if they weren't sure, they should have said "We'll check", not NO.

Likewise, the dealer really can't say if a failure was caused by a defective part until the parts in question were exhamined. 

When I had a customer's boat with a problem, we bent over backward to be honest.  Very often calling after we'd opened it up.   

• Staff

The reason for failure on this style is quite simple actually, for those who don't know here is the cliffs notes.

The TRE on the drivers side is not your traditional 360° of movement/rotation TRE, but rather it only move in a line fairly perpendicular to the wheels. The pass side is a standard TRE.

When the 08.5+ steering is installed it is very important to keep the TRE's aligned and in the center of their travel. If they are properly aligned there is no binding as steering occurs. When they are misaligned the drivers side TRE gets stress put on the stud in a direction it wasn't designed to move, they then fatigue and fail.

The latest fix is a pin/grove setup between the TRE's so that they can only be installed with proper alignment, which should eliminate the failures.

• Like 1

The reason for failure on this style is quite simple actually, for those who don't know here is the cliffs notes.

The TRE on the drivers side is not your traditional 360° of movement/rotation TRE, but rather it only move in a line fairly perpendicular to the wheels. The pass side is a standard TRE.

When the 08.5+ steering is installed it is very important to keep the TRE's aligned and in the center of their travel. If they are properly aligned there is no binding as steering occurs. When they are misaligned the drivers side TRE gets stress put on the stud in a direction it wasn't designed to move, they then fatigue and fail.

The latest fix is a pin/grove setup between the TRE's so that they can only be installed with proper alignment, which should eliminate the failures.

Thanks for that info!!!!!!  WOW!!

• Staff

Thanks for that info!!!!!!  WOW!!

Even thou the issue was known, and how not to have it occur, I have held off on upgrading my steering components. Now I feel like it wont be a big deal to upgrade when the time comes. So far 101K and still rocking the OE TRE's.