• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Clutch Install

Question: Is it to hard to install a clutch guys I need to install a new clutch on this truck I just bought and a new flywheel since I can see from the bottom its got some teeth already damage and I think I am going to need a starter gear (were can i get the starter gear from?) . I have some experience fixing small stuff but I don't know if I can handle the clutch ,I have done the vp44 on my other truck and other small stuff like maintenance tranny and differential airdog install you know small stuff . I can follow instructions very well if somebody tells me how but maybe I need more than instructions ,Is not so much that I don't want to pay somebody to do it it's just that I want to learn how . Thanks !

Could I use this oil for the transmission? Mobil 1 75W-90 synthetic gear oil.

use what ever you want. the only way we can learn is by trying. but what i have read is that the transmission becomes "hard to shift" and sometimes "noisy" if you use anything other than the OEM fluid....now that said, some people have had success with other brands(namely, amsoil and royal purp). if you do try something new, please share the results with us. cause $25 a quart is awful!

• Owner

I got to admit that $20+ a quart is hard to deal with... I know the last 2 quarts I bought are from the dealer at $23 a quart... That hurts the pocket knowing its 1 gallon needed for a change. I know I'm due for a change of fluid too...So if your willing to be a test subject... Go for it... I'm about ready to try something else too... I just don't think I can swallow $23 to $25 buck a quart... :mad:

Ok I finally took the transmission off today pretty hard when your by your self .I bought these tools and I think I made a mistake in buying them tell me what you think and maybe a better idea to help me out .

Posted ImagePosted Image

So installed the platform and followed directions that came with it. Every thing was working good until I pulled it a back a little and then there's was when the transmission tilted back towards the back of the truck were I had the handle .So I had to help to tilt it back forward so that it was straight on the platform but the darn thing wont stay up straight so I used a bottle jack on the other end were the transfer case is and the 2X4 that I used to open up the chassis. And the other thing is that I couldn't get the transmission out because the adapter adds height and it doesn't fit thru the side .I am also using the jack stands on the front of the truck. What can I do should I just work on it down there or and get somebody to help me hold it when I am ready to put it back ? Thanks !

i bought this jack: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39178 : from steve's wholesale tools for ~$65 2 years ago. it works great. the only thing is i usually have to take the tranny off the jack before it comes out from under the vehicle(i don't get them high enough in the air). when it is a 4x4, i usually have a friend help. seems like transfer case is small but HEAVY! i usually put a piece of cardboard down, so when i take the trans off the jack i can slide the card board across the ground with the trans(helps with low clearances)

• Owner

The problem you'll find out is the trans adapter for you jack can balance the trans and the transfer case it will instantly lean back on you... I used my little bottle jack under the transfer case and balanced against the main arm of the floor jack... But I got it in... But as for the trans/tranfer I left it tied to the jack and just rolled it back to the rear axle so I could install the clutch... Lifting that combo is just to much by a single man... post-2-138698163463_thumb.jpg

The problem you'll find out is the trans adapter for you jack can balance the trans and the transfer case it will instantly lean back on you... I used my little bottle jack under the transfer case and balanced against the main arm of the floor jack... But I got it in... But as for the trans/tranfer I left it tied to the jack and just rolled it back to the rear axle so I could install the clutch... Lifting that combo is just to much by a single man... [ATTACH=CONFIG]563[/ATTACH]

This is exactly what happen to me. Now I don't feel like I messed up some were. Ok so I will change my clutch tomorrow and I am just going to slide it back like you said. Thanks and thank you guesswho512 !

Ok so finally I got the clutch off and now I am dealing with the flywheel I am going to replace it because its got some worn teeth but when I am trying to loosen the bolts the darn thing keeps moving what do I need to do to unbolt them ? :banghead: