• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Strange bobbing of the fuel pressure gauge?

• Owner

Now that I've done the electronic gauges wit electric sender lets see how good I did and if I'll have any problems with my setup. I kept my needle valve, added the snubber as supplied with the ISSPro EV2 fuel pressure gauge and also remote mounted the sender to the fender. (The old vibration story. :rolleyes: ) All my tubing is still 1/8 air brake line.

So far I've had zero issue with bouncing gauge reading and still right on the 16-17 PSI just like my old DiPricol gauge did for 10 years. But I've barely got the system setup so let some time go by and we'll see. But I'm also still leaning on the idea of cavitation with none returning pump vs. returning pump like my old AirDog.

I used to monitor the fuel pressure with an Dakota Digital electric gauge.  After 8 years of service the ULSD ate the pressure sender so I replaced the gauge with an ISSPRO mechanical and isolator.  Same arrangement just different gauge.

Its been on there for about 2 years now but even though it reads quite accurately, it does something odd.  At idle the gauge needle is solid around 20 psi and when cruising along down the freeway the gauge is solid at around 18 psi.  Then all of a sudden the needle will "bob" down a couple psi and quickly return.  Its a more fluid action as this is a mechanical gauge but is also very random and kinda hard to watch for too.  But.....if I'm pulling a trailer and have reason to be hard on the throttle then the "bob" of the needle can become more regular as I'm holding steady heavy on the throttle.  Still, its only a "bob" of about 2-3 psi but its a strange action and the only way I can describe the way it moves would be like watching a fishing pole bobbin dip under water when a small fish is tasting the bait.

In saying all that, I have yet to take the tester gauge out for a drive and see if the test gauge does the same thing but I figured I'd ask around first and see if anyone has experienced the same.  My tester gauge drips and I need to fix it before I'm holding it in the cab.....

I really cant imagine why or what the bobbing action could be other than maybe the Raptor 100 (older better unit) has a regulator which has trouble regulating a smooth amount of fuel pressure when the fuel volume demand increases. :think:

Mine does this at idle.  I hear a change in idle speed and the pressure drops from 17 to 15 and then the idle changes again and psi comes back to 17.  I know it isn't the gauge because it is brand new.  I've also had this happen maybe twice that I've seen while driving but have no clue as to the cause.

Ok guys. I finally got around to installing my Beans diesel fuel tank sump this weekend. Low and behold, my bobbing fuel pressure gauge problems went away!! I have no idea what must have been going on in the stock fuel module but I don't have hardly any pressure drop anymore or the bobbing pressure. Before the sump, I could drag the pressure down from 20 psi to 10 psi getting on the freeway. Now it barely drops to 17 psi from 20. I don't know if you guys are running a straw of some kind but I am pretty impressed with the difference that the sump made. total installation time only took me about 20 minutes. The longest part was draining the tank.