• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Frantz oil filter

The threaded part of the STHB (Self Tapping Hollow Bolt) is probably 3/8"-7-16". Like I said prior, you use a sharp tapered punch to make the hole in the oil pan into which you thread the STHB. By punching the pan, you push metal into the pan for "extra" threads. If you drilled the pan to do the same, you'd have only 10-20% of the threads by punching it. The pan is not very thick metal.

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I have a question on the Frantz. I have one which is going to be installed hopefully this weekend. I know to get the hose on the barbed fittings the big guy said to boil the ends of the hose in water but I was wondering if I could use a heat gun to soften them up to slide them on?

Yes it can... Here is photos of my setup...

When you do the oil cap mod make sure you take your time and file down the old tab in side the cap. Also make sure you drill the hole center to the cap... Also your going to need a small die grinder to file those tabs back... I didn't... So basically I got to redo my oil cap some day... It weeps oil just a bit.

As for installing the filter you might thing about mounting it under the fender up-side-down (in the front behind the bumper) so when you change the filter it won't drip all over you and make a huge mess like might does currently...

Here is my write up on it...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/frantz-filter/frantz-filter.htm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Link is broke again. Can you fix it?

• 3 weeks later...

suppose to replace every 10,000 miles..and the spin on oil filter of your choice..i use the amsoil EaO O80...change the spin on filter once a year..and not sure if anyone else sells it or not. when i installed mine..the engineer i talked to said there is a 18 wheeler driver who installed two of them on his rig..not sure on his intervals for changing tho..he is running synthetic oil..and not sure how often the company(meaning FS2500) wants him to pull a sample..he has over 500,000 miles on that same oil..and they (sample lab folks) have told him to keep on a truckin!!

I am sure all these bypass kits are good. Its all about what you want to spend on them. Over 500 bones was to pricey for me when some of the cheaper ones have the same efficiency. But in the end its what you perfer :thumbup2:.But I have to admit I like my Frantz :woot:post-11448-138698188574_thumb.jpg

post-11448-138698188544_thumb.jpg

post-11448-138698188554_thumb.jpg

post-11448-138698188564_thumb.jpg