• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Frantz oil filter

I want to install a Krantz paper tissue filter on my 2002 5.9 diesel dually. Can anyone tell me if the plugged second hole on top of present oil filter housing can be used for oil supply to the Krantz. I plan on using the oil filler cap with mod to return the oil to the engine. Any info on this topic would help Thanks Tom

• Owner

Yes it can... Here is photos of my setup...

When you do the oil cap mod make sure you take your time and file down the old tab in side the cap. Also make sure you drill the hole center to the cap... Also your going to need a small die grinder to file those tabs back... I didn't... So basically I got to redo my oil cap some day... It weeps oil just a bit.

As for installing the filter you might thing about mounting it under the fender up-side-down (in the front behind the bumper) so when you change the filter it won't drip all over you and make a huge mess like might does currently...

Here is my write up on it...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/frantz-filter/frantz-filter.htm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for the info and photos of your install. Will be doing mine in a few days. Every one who has a Frantz usually love the things. I will do a oil/filter change with the install and take some photos too.Thanks Againzquick

• Owner

Just remember don't make my mistakes...I now wishing I would of mounted the filter up-side-down under the truck where you can lay on a creeper and pull the top off and not make a huge mess like might does. When I pull mine off it drains oil all down the inner fender and down on to the frame. If it was hung up-side down there would be just about zero mess... It would drian completely in the lid and if you had any dripping you can catch it in a pan or bucket...I know the lady that sells the filters. She is in Nampa, Idaho. She sells a awesome product. I would take the time and call her... :thumbsup

That's why I love my MotorGuard TP bypass!!! Very, very few drips and runs!!! I have the return line tapped into the oil pan so that the bypass will drain when the truck is shut down!! It makes for very neat TP changes and oil additions!!! I truly don't understand everyones aversion to tapping the oil pan when running a bypass oil filter!!! It's not difficult and make the change outs a breeze!!!

• Owner

That's why I love my MotorGuard TP bypass!!! Very, very few drips and runs!!! I have the return line tapped into the oil pan so that the bypass will drain when the truck is shut down!! It makes for very neat TP changes and oil additions!!! I truly don't understand everyones aversion to tapping the oil pan when running a bypass oil filter!!! It's not difficult and make the change outs a breeze!!!

Well dorkweed... I saw the fitting they had for the Frantz filter I wasn't to happy about using that for a tap. I was worried about long run when it does start to leak would I be able to replace the fitting and the seal without messing up a oil pan for it. That was my only hold back... I was orignally wanting to drain the oil back in the other turbo drain on the back of the block but I couldn't find a good fitting for the hole... Also getting the plug out look to be a real PITA to do... :confused

Mike, my MotorGuard has been on now for over 1.5 years and no leaks from the STHB at the oil pan. STHB is an acronym for "Self Tapping Hollow Bolt"!! Believe me when I say that it's not gonna come out unless I take it out!!! You use a tapered punch to make the hole in the pan for the STHB. Punching the pan pushes metal toward the inside of the pan for more threads and thus more "bite" to hold it. It's truly a very neat way to do it. The STHB has a rubber gasket on it so it won't leak; however, I added some RTV sealant just to make sure!!! :thumbsup Like I said earlier, it ain't coming out unless I take it out!! How do I post pictures. I post a picture or two of my set up!!

however, I added some RTV sealant just to make sure!!! :thumbsup Like I said earlier, it ain't coming out unless I take it out!!!!

Excuse my brainlessness... But what is RTV sealant.... and why is it better to in this instance than another sealant..????

How do I post pictures. I post a picture or two of my set up!!

About posting pics... If you have a photobucket account you can link to it... if not you can send them to me and I can link them in for you.. http://www.photobucket.com M's Maiden

It's RTV Silcone... Silcone sealant... :rolleyes

Broads eh?.... :D :D LOL So many questions - so little time... >:) >:) ** should maybe edit the title of the thread so it reads "FRANTZ OIl Filters"

OK, Everyone knows that RTV is Silicone, but who can give me the right answer for the question: What do the letters "RTV" stand for??Scroll down for the answer but no cheating!!answer: Room Temperature Vulcanizing

• Like 1

Broads eh?.... :D :D LOL So many questions - so little time... >:) >:)

Thats why I ask them when I can?? .. Times a tickin... lol

I used the pretty blue colored RTV!!! LOL B)

Pretty Blue??? is there something you want to share with us Dorkweed???? :rolleyes

No doubt - plus it matches your eyes... >:) LOL

The fact that you might even know what color Dorkweeds eyes are... is just WAY TMI!!!!! :poke

I just learned something new... Thank you MnTom... :smart

See now because of MY QUESTION.... and Many Thanks to MnTom ... WE now are a little bit more educated!!!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup B)

You guys can thank me later!!!! >:)

• 2 weeks later...

That looks like locktite and RTV. locktite is a specialized glue to keep things from vibrating loose. It cures in close confines, think threads or bushings. Green for shaft and stud lock, blue for hand assemble and disassemble, red ( one part # ) heat to disassemble. There is a penatrant for assembled bolts. I saw some yellow but I think it was not a Permatex branded product. RTV is a replacement for gaskets to keep the insides inside. When parts are machined they are a little rough so that oil or coolant will leak, the purpose of a gasket is to slow the leaks. RTV is room temperature vulcanising and is a weak glue that cures with moisture from the airBlue is O2 sensor safe, Red is hitemp, clear is the first that I found, some of the black is marked 'O2 sensor safe' Another way to do the return line is a banjo bolt for the crankcase drain with a steel line above the oil level. Makes a good place to change the oil with a vacuum transfer, like an inboard boat. No mess, no drips. Same with putting oil in, put it in the transfer tank and put it in through the bypass filter. keydl